chapter three

The buzzing of my phone pulled me from my slumber. I slowly opened my eyes, expecting my room to be sunny. The view made my eyebrows furrow. It was already dark outside. I grabbed my phone to check the time, but the notifications made me forget to do so. Sarah'd sent me at least ten messages to ask me if I wanted to go to a party that was on The Cut and then proceeded to ask me what she should wear. There were another few messages from Rafe telling me that he was going to pick me up in an hour to go to the same party.

    Why would we go to a party hosted by the Pogues? I had no issue with them, but I knew that Rafe, at least, hated them. He only ever wanted to hurt them.

    I told Sarah what clothes I was going to wear, so she could dress the same way. I'd asked Rafe who was coming with us and he'd told me that only Sarah, Topper and Kelce would be there from our friend group.

    As I finished brushing my hair and putting it in a messy bun, I heard Rafe's car in front of my house. Of course, instead of alerting me through a message, he opted for honking and alerting the whole household. I was lucky my mother was out with some of her friends, so I was home alone.

——

    We'd been all sitting together, not wanting to do anything else. Sarah and I felt weird, not knowing how to act around everyone. We didn't want to stand out, so all we did was talk and drink beer.

    "Let's go." I heard Topper tell Sarah. She turned to me with an apologetic smile, waiting for me to tell her I would be okay if she left. I nodded, knowing I couldn't keep her here even if I'd wanted. I'd be with Rafe and Kelce anyway, so I was going to be fine. I had to warm up to them if I'd wanted to play a good girlfriend. I watched them leave, standing up when John B and JJ stopped Sarah to offer her a drink. Rafe tried to catch my hand, but I started walking towards them when Topper hit JJ's drink, making it spill everywhere. Rafe followed me, standing slightly behind me.

    "Dirty Pogues!" I reached for Topper's shoulder, to pull him away from the boys when I heard his words. John B also turned to him, pushing him and making me stumble. Rafe put his arm around my waist to keep me from falling. I tried to push away from him, just as they started fighting. His grip on my waist tightened, not letting me move at all.

    "Fuck! Topper! Let him go!" I yelled, as I tried once again to escape Rafe's hold. I pushed his shoulder, trying to make him drop his arms. He only grunted, his grip on my waist even tighter now. "Let me go, Rafe!"

    "And do what? Fight them?" He said to me. "You're only going to get hurt."

    "Can't you see he's fucking drowning him? Topper, let him go!" Everyone shut up when JJ got his gun out. I gasped, turning to Rafe, putting my arms around his neck. His hold on me softened, he rested his head in the crook of my neck, waiting to see what would happen. My heart started beating even faster than before. I kept telling myself that it was from the fact that JJ had his gun pointed at Topper's head, not because I was holding onto Rafe like he was my lifeline. I felt Rafe relax when Topper dropped John B.

    "Come on, let's go, guys." He said as he grabbed my hand and pushed his best friend's shoulder.

——

    When we reached Rafe's car, Sarah started yelling at Topper. Rafe turned to glare at me and I only shrugged my shoulders in response, waiting for him to tell me what was on his mind.

    "Don't ever do that again." He growled, his eyes searching my face. "You could've gotten really hurt." I laughed at his tone.

    "Why aren't you telling Topper that? He was the one with a gun pointed at his head."

    It was quiet for a while, we were all standing around Rafe's car. We were looking at each other, not knowing what to say. What were you supposed to say in a situation like this?

    "We should go get drunk." We all turned to look at Kelce, who hadn't said anything until this point. The other boys nodded, heading towards the car. When they'd noticed that Sarah and I haven't moved, they stopped to look at us.

    "Aren't you coming?" Topper asked. I slowly nodded.

    "Yeah, but let me drive. I haven't had anything to drink besides water." Everyone turned to look at Rafe, who was known for not letting anyone drive his beloved car. He shrugged, making the boys furrow their eyebrows.

——

    When we reached my home, we raided my mom's alcohol cupboard, putting everything on the patio coffee table.

    "I really like you two together." Topper said, pointing between Rafe and I. I raised my brows questioningly, making him shrug in response.

    "Yeah, you're great for each other." Sarah added. My eyes widened as I turned to look at her, she was the last person I'd expected to say something good about me dating her brother. She was the only one who didn't get a proper explanation. Rafe'd only told her that it happened, and I was honestly thankful that she didn't ask any questions.

    We spent the night drinking and talking, until we all passed out on the outdoor couches.

Author's Note: This is kind of a filler chapter. I have planned something incredibly dramatic, but it'll be some time until I can post it! Hope you enjoyed this one!!