chapter thirty eight

"It'll be good to get us out of here. Honestly, I... just feel like I need someone to have my back, you know?" Ward stopped packing, turning to look at his son, but Rafe wouldn't raise his eyes to meet his. He couldn't- not now that he had to pick his side.
"I got that." Rafe murmured, images of Y/n always ready to help him appeared in his mind as he closed his eye.
"You got that?"
"All day." He shrugged, running a clammy hand over his neck.
"You do, don't you?" Rafe only nodded, knowing that speaking right now would let the tears run down his face. This is the moment he actually realized that now that Y/n was gone, no one had his back anymore. There was no one else that cared about him enough to want to help him.

     He wanted to go after her himself, but with everything that's been happening lately, there was no way for him to even start to investigate.

     Ever since she disappeared, he felt uneasy. He knew something bad happened, but it was impossible to do anything about it.

     He tried his best to keep away from the thing she hated the most, but getting high was the only thing that could help him forget the empty feeling inside his chest. And every time he sobered up, he felt disgusted and disappointed, knowing how hurt she'd be if she found out.

     His dad suggested to find another girl, to at least fix his needs, but the thought of any other girl besides Y/n being next to him nearly made him throw up.

     He'd never felt this lost.