chapter one

Yesterday's events were still fresh in my mind as I left Sarah, I found Rafe waiting for me in front of his house. I ignored his presence, trying to walk as calmly as possible, acting like I hadn't seen him.

"Hey, Y/n." I didn't turn around at his words, still walking along his house's sidewalk.

"What do you want?" I'd asked, knowing he was now walking behind me.

He didn't reply until he was next to me. "It's not too nice to ignore your boyfriend, is it?"

I scoffed, "And it's not too nice to not know your place, is it?"

He laughed, "I'm sorry you're too slow. I thought you'd have told her by now."

"I needed to find the best way to tell her. It's not everyday your best friends gets with your brother."

"You should thank me, then."

I raised my eyebrows questioningly, "For what? You wanted to make me look bad."

"I'd never do such thing. Especially to you." I rolled my eyes in response to his words.

We kept walking in silence, until I turned to him once again. "What are you doing?"

"I'm walking you home." He replied, he knew what he was doing. But I wasn't going to let him get away with it.

"You- You're what?"

"You should really go check your ears out."

I laughed at that, "My ears are perfectly fine, thank you. It's just- You never did that. You know, walk me home."

"That's because I wasn't your boyfriend."

"You still aren't."

"We don't want people to know that, do we?" He whispered. I nodded, continuing making small talk.

Just as we got home, my mom was on the front porch, admiring her flowers. She smiled at me, her eyebrows instantly raising once her eyes laid on the boy next to me.

"Rafe Cameron."

"Yeah, he just walked me home." I told her, gesturing towards him. His charming smile was blinding, making me roll my eyes at him.

"I hope she told you the news." My eyes widened, turning to look at him, slightly shaking my head. I didn't want my mom to know yet. She was completely in love with the boy next to me, so when she'd find out, she'd make too big a deal out of it.

"I'm afraid I don't know what news you're talking about."

"Y/n and I have officially become an item." My mother gasped, her hand immediately going to his shoulders, pulling him into a hug. Rafe smiled at me over her shoulder, making me scoff under my breath.

"You should come in." She gestured towards the door. He turned to look at me. I shook my head, trying to tell him to refuse, but he once again smiled, accepting my mother's offer.

    Once we were all sitting in our living room, my mom started asking the questions I'd been dreading.

    "How come you only got together now, seeing as you'd known each other for years?" She wondered, sipping her iced tea. I turned my head to make eye contact with Rafe, letting him answer her, seeing as it was his fault this was happening. He awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck, I could tell he was trying to think of something to say.

    "I'd been asking Y/n for a date for the last year, but she never accepted." My eyes widened at his words, my mother was going to confront me about this later. "But last week she finally said yes. We went to her favorite part of the beach and we found so many things we had in common. We hit it off immediately." He finished with a smile. I coughed uncomfortably, looking at the ground. I felt their eyes on my face, waiting for me to say something. I put my hand on his knee, turning to sweetly smile at him. He jumped as my hand made contact with his leg, surely not expecting me to do that.

    "I was so stupid to turn him down. And to think that I could've had earlier what we have now..." I finished with furrowed brows. I was trying to get my mom off my case, making sure she knew how much I regretted refusing him in the past. She smiled at us, standing up.

    "You two need some privacy. Why don't you go to your room, maybe show him around?" She gestured towards the marble staircase leading to my room. I froze at her words, did she mean what I thought she meant? I grabbed Rafe's hand, pulling him after me. Once we were alone, I let his hand go, not looking at him.

    "So, this is my room." I said extravagantly as I opened the door. He laughed at my tone, closing the door after us. We sat on my bed, he wasn't saying anything, just looking around. My words made him turn his head to me.

    "My mom is going to throw a fit after what you'd said." He furrowed his brows, not knowing what I was talking about. I scoffed, "Thanks to you, she thinks that I didn't want to date you. You literally could've told her anything, but you chose to say that."

    "I don't understand."

    "Of course you don't, my mother wanted me to date you. She used to tell me every day that you were made for me and I shouldn't try to date anyone else, because it wouldn't work. But I think it's because our family needs yours."

    "No one needs us." He mumbled, his eyes darting around the room, looking anywhere but at me.

    "You don't even know how much power you have. But maybe it's better this way, power can get to people's heads easily. And when that happens, it makes you shut out your heart."

Author's Note: Sooo, that last line, foreshadowing ? Anyways, hope you enjoyed this!!