20. Victims

"Buongiorno Bambina," Carina said as she peered up from her laptop where she was sat at the table when Maddie walked into the kitchen with her eyes still half asleep. Maddie had never been much of a morning person at all. "Oh, you don't look awake at all." she chuckled.

"Morning Carina," Maddie yawned as she sinks down onto the couch and let out another yawn.

"Do you want anything for breakfast? I don't have to get ready for work until later, so I don't mind making you something," Carina asked. Maddie shook her head slightly.

"I'll have coffee if that's an option," Maddie tried her luck with the brunette.

"Nice try Bambina," Carina chuckled.

"Oh come on... I won't tell my mom if you don't," Maddie said cheekily. Carina shook her head. "Why is it that only Andrew lets me have it?" Maddie asked.

"Because my stupid little brother feels like he is obliged to give you it even when both of us tell him not to because he has labelled himself as the 'fun Zio' so he thinks he can get away with it," Carina said using air quotations.

"God, I miss seeing Andrew... I miss seeing everyone," Maddie said with a sigh. Carina nodded and she felt bad for the teenager because she was pretty close with her brother.

"I know you do. Things are still pretty strict at the hospital Bambina, people aren't allowed to just come and go like they were before, but maybe when it's all settled down, you can see him then?" Carina offered.

"Yeah, I would like that. I can always call him in the meantime." Maddie said.

"I think that is a great idea, it would probably cheer him up," Carina mentioned.

"Oh, why what's happened?" Maddie asked concerned.

"Dr Grey... Meredith, you remember her, don't you?" Carina asked. Maddie nodded, she was briefly aware of who she was since Andrew always talked about her.

"Yeah, Zio dated her at one point didn't he? He told me about it, he still likes her doesn't he?" Maddie wondered.

"I don't know about that Bambina but she caught Covid and is in a coma now," Carina explained.

"Oh no, that's awful, so Zio is waiting for her to wake up?" Maddie asked. Carina nodded to the teenager.

"Si, he is desperate for her to pull through and wake up," Carina told the blonde girl.

"Oh no... that's terrible. I hope that she wakes up soon." Maddie said. "I'll try to call him now and see if he answers," Maddie said as she unlocked her phone and face timed her beloved Zio.

"Hey, kid!" Andrew's face popped up on the screen of her iPhone. "What are you up to?" He wondered.

"Not much. I have just woke up so I'm hanging out with Carina," Maddie panned the phone around to show Carina sat at the table looking at her laptop. Carina waved as she sipped her espresso. "You alright, Zio? I heard about Meredith... I'm sorry," Maddie said with a sigh.

"I'm doing okay kid and Meredith is... well she's still in a coma," Andrew told her as she frowned. "I guess that I am just keeping my hopes up that she wakes up soon," He added trying to sound hopeful.

"She will wake up soon Zio," Maddie said with a small smile. Maddie hadn't got to meet Meredith yet, but Andrew has told the teenager all about her and how talented that she was. "I miss you," Maddie told him. Andrew smiled at the blonde teenager.

"I miss you to kid but it won't be long until we see each other in person again," Andrew said. "So, how is your girlfriend?" He wondered.

"Well, actually... we haven't spoken since the other day. We got into an argument, I have tried to get in touch with her, but no luck. I don't know what's happened," Maddie explained. Andrew frowned.