77. Therapy

"I don't need to see a therapist, mom!" Maddie exclaimed as she stood in the kitchen, butter knife in her hand as she went to spread the butter on her toast. "I'm fine," she protested.

Of course, she wasn't going to confess that this morning she took a sharp blade to her bare skin but she had convinced herself that she was fine. She had to be fine.

Maya looked at her daughter with concern, "Mads, I know we– Look, mama and I, we just think that you need to speak to somebody professional about how you feel right now," she explained.

Maddie finished buttering her toast and threw the knife into the sink, plastering a fake smile on her face, "I feel fine, there, happy?" she asked sarcastically.

"I know you and I know that you're not fine kiddo," The older blonde stated boldly.

"How do you know how I feel? You can't read minds, mom!" Maddie exclaimed as she threw her hands up in frustration. "I don't want to talk to someone that barely knows me," she told her.

"You do know her, kiddo. You've spoken to her before at the hospital, remember? It's Dr. Lucas," Maya reminded her daughter.

Maddie let out a huff and shook her head, "I don't want to talk to her. I don't want to talk to anyone--" she exclaimed as Maya cut her off.

"Maddie," Maya started to speak

"It's dumb, Mom!" Maddie interjected.

Carina walked through the front door right at that moment with a bag of groceries, "Hello-- What's going on?" she questioned as she frowned.

Maddie whipped her head around to see the brunette woman, "Mom wants me to see a fuckin' therapist!" she exclaimed outraged.

"Hey, whoa, language!" Maya scolded her daughter.

Carina exhaled a sigh and set the groceries down on the kitchen counter, "Bambina, we spoke about this and we're both in agreement about it. You need to speak to someone and it'll be good for you," she explained carefully before the younger girl blew up again.

"No, it won't!" Maddie shouted out in frustration. "I don't want to speak to someone and you can't make me!" she told them both.

"Maddie..." Carina started to speak again as Maddie started to storm off. 

"Where are you going?" Maya questioned.

"Out, or is that not allowed now?" Maddie asked annoyed as she shoved her converses on.

"You're still grounded, Maddie!" Maya told her firmly.

Maddie threw her jacket out and groaned, "Oh what, so I can't even get some fresh air now?" she asked as she scoffed. "Alright, well, am I allowed to take Lizzie out for a walk then?" she asked.

Carina exhaled a sigh and nodded, "Go ahead, Bambina," she agreed.

"Carina," Maya glanced at her wife confused.

The brunette looked at her wife and shook her head, "Just let her go Maya... She needs time to cool down and then we can talk to her again," she stated.

Maya sighed and nodded in agreement with her wife before she looked at her daughter, "Alright, kiddo, go ahead," she said.

"Thank God for that," Maddie mumbled as she grabbed Lizzie's lead. "Come on girl, time for a walk," she called out as Lizzie jumped off the couch and ran towards the teenage girl. 

"Don't forget to take your..." Maya started to speak as Maddie walked out the door and quickly shut it behind her. "Phone," she spoke as she let out a sigh. "Well, that went as terrible as I thought it would," she muttered.