23. The Chase Is On

"I don't know how to process what I saw yesterday," Maddie overheard Andy say as she walked into the equipment room where Andy and Jack were having a private conversation between the two of them.

"Mm," Jack said. "Hey, short-stack." Jack said, spotting the younger blonde troublemaker.

"What we talkin' about?" Maddie wondered.

"Yesterday, it was awful what happened," Andy said with a sigh. "My best friend was a cop. I know how hard his job was. I know how often he was just... terrified, and I-I know cops can be targets. I-I was always on his side. Cops and firefighters were on each other's side. But what I saw yesterday, I... I saw it with different eyes. I'm married to a Black man now, and... ...I saw it with different eyes." Andy exhaled deeply.

"Damn," Maddie mumbled. "Yesterday was difficult. I don't understand how PD would be so... brutal... yesterday changed my perspective a lot," Maddie said. Andy sighed and nodded in agreement.

"Agreed," Jack said. "Come on lets' head to the Barn and help the guys out with the Inspection," He said. Maddie nodded and followed the two adults into the Barn where the rest of the fire fighters were.

"Just call me back when you get this," Ben left a voice mail for his wife as Maya was on the phone with PD.

"O-Okay. Thank you." Maya stood by her desk on the phone to PD as she ended the call.

"Okay, I think Miranda has records, but I can't reach her. I think she took a sedative." Ben said as he fumbled with his phone.

"It's okay. They were able to look up the incident at Grey-Sloan without the report number, but the detective assigned to the case is not in today," Maya said frustrated.

"So? I mean, can't they get another detective?" Ben asked.

"They said they would try, but that it would take a while to process and to get them up to speed," Maya said.

"Unbelievable." Ben said annoyed, "Oh. What about Ryan's old captain? Can he do us a favour?" Ben asked.

"Captain Rendon? We can try." Maya said as she dialled the number, "Captain Maya Bishop, Station 19. Can I have Captain Rendon, please? I'll hold." She spoke.

"Eh, um... Andrew, he's... he's...?" Ben hesitated to ask.

"He's stable. He's been on his meds for months. He's getting sleep. He's good." Maya said as the voice on the other end of the phone got back to her, "Ugh. Okay. Will you please leave a message? Captain Maya Bishop, Station 19. It's urgent." Maya said as she slammed the phone down repeatedly and Ben gave her a look as she was frustrated and could tell.

"Just wait and see what happens," DeLuca says as they look out of the car window.

"Look. Look. Look, look, look." Carina pointed out as the woman, Opal, exchanged a brown package with the man.

"Okay. I think they're taking off." Andrew said as they ducked back, trying to not be spotted. "Okay." He said quietly.

"Mm-hmm, mm-hmm," Carina said. "Should we follow him?" She asked.

"No." Andrew said as he takes another picture, "Keep following her." He said.

"Okay." Carina agreed, exhaling sharply as they restarted the car and moved to follow Opal down the road.

"I'm... I'm not manic, okay?" Andrew said with a sigh.

"I wasn't thinking that. I just don't think all this belongs on your shoulders." Carina said.