41. Mood Swings

"I was beginning to wonder if you were going to get up today," Maya teased lightly when she spotted her 13-year-old pad through to the kitchen from her bedroom, she looked so upset and disorientated. "You look like you haven't slept at all." She stated.

"Gee, thanks, mom," Maddie said as she rolled her eyes and made her over to the couch and slumped down on it.

"Did you sleep?" Maya questioned concerned for her daughter's health.

Maddie shrugged her shoulders, "A little bit. I kept on waking up throughout the night." She admitted.

"Okay, have you heard anything else from Sarah?" Maya wondered out loud just as Maddie's phone started to vibrate. "Is that her?" she asked.

"Yep," Maddie stated as she threw her phone onto the other side of the couch to avoid answering.

"And you're not going to answer?" Maya asked confused.

"Nope." Maddie stated as she picked up the remote and turned on the television.

"Okay," Maya said with a sigh. "Well, get yourself dressed. We're going to the grocery store," She told her daughter.

"Do I have to come?" Maddie groaned.

Maya chuckled and patted her daughter's shoulder. "Come on kiddo. A change of scenery will do you some good. We didn't go the other day and we're in need of stuff now," she added.

"I prefer the scenery of inside the apartment," Maddie pouted at the older blonde.

"Are you ready to go?" Maya called out in question as she stood by the front door of the apartment, impatiently waiting for her teenage daughter.

"I'm ready, unfortunately," Maddie muttered as she shoved her denim jacket on.

"You could sound more cheerful about it." Maya said as she guided her daughter of the apartment. "Come on, we need to go before your Tia Andy and Auntie Vic come around tonight," she added as they walk over to the elevator.

"Oh, they're coming around?" Maddie asked in surprise.

"Yeah, they're both coming around for drinks," Maya explained as they stepped inside the elevator and rode down to the ground floor. "That okay with you?" she asked.

"Awesome," Maddie said in agreement. "Super awesome," she repeated.

"Okay, so we need Milk, Bread, Chips..." Maya began to list the items that they would need.

Maddie followed her mom around the store in a sulk with her hands in her pocket the whole entire time. "I don't understand why I had to come. I would rather have sat at home," The teenager grumbled in annoyance.

"I know you would have but as I told you before, you needed a change of scenery." Maya insisted.

"And I told you I preferred the scenery inside," Maddie mumbled as she mopped around the store behind Maya who pushed the cart. "This really sucks," She pouted.

Maya stopped pushing the cart and turned her attention to her daughter. "Okay, listen, I know that you're upset about Sarah, but I could really do without you sulking about," she told her daughter firmly who just scowled and continued to keep her hands shoved in her pockets. "Maddie. Come on please, help me out here kiddo," She added.

"I want to go home already," Maddie mumbled.

"I know you do, and we can as soon as we've finished in here," Maya insisted, "Now, go and fetch the bread please," She stated.

Maddie exhaled a loud sigh and muttered something under her breath in Italian. Clever of her to do considering she understand the basic words, however, Maya wasn't picking up on it as quick as she was, so she had that to her advantage.