46. Happiness Doesn't Last Long

"Hey mama," Maddie said as she wandered into the kitchen to find Carina sitting at the island doing charts on her laptop. It had been 2 weeks since Maya's demotion and the family was still getting used to it all, and Maddie was finding it incredibly hard to adjust to everything.

Carina looked up from her laptop and smiled at the teenager, "Buongiorno Piccola," she said.

"Where's my mom?" Maddie asked as she leaned against the island.'

"Oh she's still at work, she's working until tomorrow, remember?" Carina questioned.

"Of course, like she always does nowadays," Maddie mumbled as she let out a sigh. "It's like the only thing that she does is work now," she said.

"Bambina," Carina started as she looked at the teenage girl who was vividly upset due to not being able to see her mother as much, Carina understood how difficult it was but she knew how busy both of their careers were and since Maya's demotion, the family of three were now adjusting. "I know it's tough Bambina but we're gonna make it work," she reassured her.

Maddie nodded sadly, "Are you going to work today?" she asked.

"Not today, Bambina, I'm off unless I get called in for an emergency at some point," Carina explained to the teenage girl.

"Okay then," Maddie said as she smiled.

"Tomorrow night we will all be home together so we can sit and have dinner as a family," Carina said, hoping that it would cheer the girl up. "I'll even make your favourite dinner," she added which earned a small smile from the thirteen-year-old.

"Tia Andy as well?" Maddie questioned, ever since Andy had been staying with them, it was quite common when given the opportunity all three adults were off from work, they would have dinner together.

"Yes, Tia Andy as well Bambina," Carina said as she chuckled.

"Alright, assignments!" Captain Beckett called out as he walked into the Beanery where all the firefighters were sitting eating breakfast and chatting.

"Captain, we haven't even finished eating yet," Vic mumbled as she motioned to her bowl of cereal that she had in front of her.

"Well then you better hurry up and eat it quickly," Beckett remarked with a smirk before he gave out the orders and assignments for all the firefighters. "Alright, line up in the barn, let's go!" He demanded before he walked out and left all the firefighters annoyed.

"I didn't even get to finish my damn cereal!" Vic said as she threw her spoon back into the bowl and stood up from the table.

"Is he serious?" Travis questioned.

"Apparently so," Ben mumbled.

"Well, we better not keep the new Captain waiting," Dean stated while all the firefighters jumped up from the table and ran down towards the barn.

"How long until your investigation? I don't know long I can deal with him." Vic commented annoyed she couldn't finish her cereal.

"I have no idea honestly," Maya told her friend as they all headed down to the barn.

"So, how long is it until we can uh, like forgive him?" Jack questioned as Robert walked into the barn and joined the line-up.

"You do whatever you want, Gibson," Maya told the male firefighter while she threw a scowl at Robert.

"We're just all following your lead Maya," Dean said in support of the blonde, none of them was pleased with what had happened.