33. Recovery Begins

"Where is Mom? She has been gone for ages," Maddie complained to Carina as they sat outside the hospital entrance where they waited for Maya to bring the car around.

"She hasn't been gone for that long Bambina," Carina laughed. Maddie let out a loud sigh as she sat in the wheelchair, which she wasn't exactly thrilled about, she was fed up now and feeling sore since the medication was wearing off.

"It feels like she has been! It's bad enough I have to sit in this wheelchair," Maddie grumbled.

"It's hospital policy I'm afraid Maddie but it won't be for much longer," Carina explained. "Are you looking forward to going home?"

"I can't wait! I just want to sleep in my own bed again," Maddie exclaimed to Carina who chuckled. "Those hospital beds are so uncomfortable,"

"Don't forget that Sarah is coming round today as well," Carina reminded her.

"Yeah, I know. I'm so excited to see her!" Maddie said with a grin as she remembers the previous conversation they exchanged last night, "Oh! I can see Mom's car now,"

"Come on then. Let's get you home," Carina said as she pushed the wheelchair over to the car.

"I thought you got lost Mom, you took forever!" Maddie commented as Carina helped her climb in the back and buckle up since it was difficult for her to move too much right now and the last thing either of the women wanted was for her to hurt herself further.

"Oh Mads, you're so dramatic. I wasn't gone for that long," Maya chuckled as she turned around to her daughter sitting in the back of the car.

"Hmm, I wonder where she gets that from Bella," Carina said looking at Maya with a slight smirk on her face who looked offended. "Right I'll be back in a minute, I am just going to take the wheelchair back,"

"Mama's wrong there, I'm not dramatic," Maya mumbled.

"Are you sure about that, Mom?" Maddie asked cheekily. Maya shook her head as Carina came back to the car and climbed in. Maya just looked unimpressed at her girlfriend.

"What?" Carina chuckled. Maya shook her head as she drove out of the parking lot.

"I am not dramatic," Maya stated.

"Of course you're not Bella," Carina replied as she rolled her eyes and couldn't help but laugh.

"Home sweet home," Maya said as she parked the car in the allocated space outside the apartment block. Getting out of the car, she helped Maddie out and into the building while Carina went to grab the bags to bring inside.

"I've never been so relieved to be home," Maddie said as Maya opened the door to their apartment.

"Bed or couch?" Maya asked as she had her arm rested around Maddie's waist so she could lean on her.

"Uh, my bed I think," Maddie said.

"Okay," Maya agreed, helping her daughter towards her bedroom.

"Oh my God, my bed's never felt so good!" Maddie exclaimed once Maya had pulled back her duvet cover and helped her to bed. "So much more comfortable than the hospital bed I had to stay in,"

"Believe it or not, I hear that comment quite a lot," Carina said after she had dumped the bags onto the table and was now hovering in Maddie's bedroom door. "Are you comfy enough Bambina? Do you need anything at all, food or drink?" She asked fussing.

"I'm fine Mama, it's all good!" Maddie said. "Oh wait, my phone! Where is it?" She asked trying to get up.

"Ah, ah, ah, lie back down Bambina. I will go get it for you," Carina said. Maddie pouted and carefully laid back on her bed while Carina went to find the phone which was disregarded in one of the bags.