74. Grief Stricken

"Bambina," Carina spoke aloud as she walked through the doors of reception.

"Finally!" Maddie exclaimed as she spotted the older Italian woman and let out a huff of annoyance, "I have been here for ages," she complained.

Carina swallowed the lump that formed in her throat and looked at her daughter, "There was an incident–" she was cut off.

"And where is everyone?" Maddie interjected as she looked around the station. "There's literally nobody here at all," she stated.

"There was an explosion, everybody is there," Carina explained as Maddie didn't even listen as she continued to rant.

"Like Mom told me to come here and yet she's not even here herself!" Maddie continued to say with a fed-up expression on her face.

"Bambina!" Carina exclaimed suddenly. "Listen to me," she said calmly before she inhaled a deep breath. "There was an incident and some people have been hurt," she told her.

"Wh–What?" Maddie instantly began to panic and think the worst. "Is Mom okay?" she asked as she started to tear up and worry.

Carina shook her head frantically, "Mom's fine but..." she was cut off from her thoughts.

"But, what?" Maddie questioned worriedly.

"Nothing," Carina said as she realized she shouldn't say anything more. "We should get to the hospital," she told her firmly.

"What's happened?" Maddie repeated herself.

"Merda," Carina muttered in Italian and shook her head. "Bambina, we just need to go to the hospital. We're gonna meet your mom and everybody else there," she explained again.

Maddie looked at the Italian brunette who looked lost deep in her own thoughts, "O–Okay," she agreed quietly.

"Come on, we need to go, now," Carina stated quietly.

"Alright," Maddie nodded reluctantly, picked up her backpack and followed her mama out to the silver Porsche.

"Mom!" Maddie ran through the doors of the hospital and was taken back by the number of firefighters all sitting around in the waiting room, she spotted the blonde woman amongst them as she ran over to her from where she was sitting beside Andy.

Maya looked up from where she was sitting lost in her own thoughts and smiled weakly at her daughter, "Hey kiddo," she spoke quietly.

"What's happened?" Maddie questioned worriedly. "Mama told me there was an explosion but not much else," she muttered confused.

"Kiddo," Maya started when Jack and Ben walked through the hospital with their head lowered.

Maddie looked around confused, she wasn't sure why there were so many firefighters, a fair few of them that she didn't even recognise herself, "Wh– What's happened?" she questioned.

"Guys?" Andy questioned softly as she looked at both Jack and Ben.

Jack exhaled a sigh and shook his head, he looked physically and emotionally distraught, "It was too late, he's gone" he mumbled.

"O–Oh my God," Maya mumbled shocked.

"H–How's Vic doing?" Ben questioned quietly.

"They're doing tests. Travis and Theo are with her," Andy told him.

Maddie continued to look confused and taken back, "Wa–Wait, who's gone?" she questioned even further confused. "An–And what's happened to Auntie Vic? Is she okay?" she asked, she was close to the woman, she was her aunt of course and she felt worried about her.