64. Fear

"Hey! You're finally awake," Maddie exclaimed, turning around from her desk where she was trying to catch up on some last-minute homework. 

The key word is trying of course.

Ever since the day of Maddie's birthday, the atmosphere at home had been tense, Lane's sudden appearance at the party had the family shaken and upset. Sarah had been staying with the family of three since her fall out with her mom, and Maddie was overall delighted to be able to spend more time with her girlfriend.

Sarah sat up slowly in bed and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes as she took a glance at the time. "Babe, it's 6 am... Why are you awake?" she questioned confused.

"I may have forgotten about the homework that I had due in," Maddie confessed with a small grin on her face. "And I've been up for at least an hour now, trying to figure out this dumb math problem," she added.

"You've had coffee haven't you?" Sarah questioned with a raised eyebrow. 

Maddie indeed was slightly buzzed from the caffeine that she had snuck from the kitchen, in her opinion she was awake before usual. 

"What, no, of course not," Maddie denied quickly. "Okay, I may have snuck one in, but I needed something to help me stay awake," she explained to her girlfriend who laughed.

"Your moms' are not going to be happy when they find out," Sarah couldn't help but smirk as she chuckled the duvet back and stood up out of bed.

"Oh shush. Can you please help me already?" Maddie questioned with a pout on her face.

"Why didn't you do it the other day when I told you, like 2 days ago?" Sarah questioned amused, walking over to her girlfriend.

"I got side-tracked," Maddie mumbled while shrugging her shoulders.

Sarah laughed again and shook her head as she leaned over her girlfriend's shoulder to look at the homework. "I'm pretty sure watching Marvel movies isn't any excuse to slack on your homework, Mads," she said amusedly.

"Hey, who's side are you on here?" Maddie asked as she pouted adorably at her girlfriend.

"Yours of course, always yours," Sarah said as she leaned in and kissed her girlfriend. "But don't say that I didn't warn you when you fall behind in class," she told her teasingly.

"That's why I am doing it now," Maddie said as she motioned over to the pile of homework on her desk. "If not then I can just say that my dog ate it?" she asked.

"Babe, you can't use Lizzie as an excuse," Sarah told her while the small dachshund puppy looked up at the mention of her name. "I'll help you since I'm awake so early now," she told her as she got out of bed and walked over to the desk.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Maddie said appreciatively, quickly following after her girlfriend eager for help with the homework. "God, no, seriously? Not again!" she exclaimed when she heard a familiar sound coming from the room across the hallway.

"Uh... Is that what I think it is?" Sarah questioned.

"Unfortunately," Maddie wrinkled her nose up in disgust. "They still act like they're on their honeymoon, even after all these months," she muttered.

Across the hall, the married couple lay in bed, entangled in the sheets as Maya worked her magic on Carina as small moans filled the bedroom. The wives wanted to make the most of their time with one another before everything else got in the way, that being their jobs and the still impending conversation that Carina wanted to have to with her wife.