21. Wrongful Arrest

"No. We called the police, and they still haven't come." Maya said on the phone as she paced up and down, "Yes, we've been waiting." Maddie overheard her mom speak to someone on the phone.

Maddie went back to sit on the hood of Travis's car as she watched her mom pace up and down the driveway on the phone while Dean, Vic and Jack had a private conversation, she didn't know what was being said but Dean was raising his voice and his opinions.

"This situation sucks for those women," Maddie said as Maya walked over to the hood of Travis's car and stood beside her daughter after she had just gotten off the phone "I want to help," she added.

"The only way you can help right now is to do as you're told and go back and sit on the hood of Travis's car. Can you do that for me?" Maya said. Maddie began to argue but Maya gave her daughter the look that she knew all too well.

"Alright. Fine." Maddie mumbled.

"Good girl," Maya patted her head. Maddie pouted and moved her hand away, she didn't like being patronised. "I am just going to go and talk to Vic and Dean. Just stay here remember?" She stated.

"I know," Maddie mumbled. Maya walked off to go and speak to Dean, Vic and Jack just as the sound of sirens got louder as PD arrived at the scene.

"Alright, finally,  here's PD. About time," Maddie called out. Maya turned to look at her daughter and shook her head before she headed over to the squad car.

"Officers! Officers! My daughter is in that house!" Joyce said as she walked over to them and Maya tried to stop her from going towards them. The two PD officers got out, Schnieder and Wicklund.

"Okay," Wicklund said.

"My daughter is in there!" Joyce insisted.

"I'm Captain Maya Bishop, SFD. I'm the one that called you." Maya said. The two men looked between themselves.

"No, no, no. We got a call from the homeowner." Wiklund said, pointing over to the house. "He claimed that a woman was creating a disturbance," Wicklund said.

"This is a waste of time!" Dean said agrivated as he walked away.

"Okay, this woman believes that her daughter was abducted and is in this house," Maya said.

"We're just asking you to check it out," Jack added.

"Ma'am, what makes you think your daughter's in there?" Wicklund asked.

"We don't have time for this. You people need to step aside..." Schneider interjected.

"How about a little professional courtesy?" Jack interjected.

"...and let us do our job. Listen, we're not gonna barge into someone's home because some unbalanced woman can't keep her tabs on her kid," Schneider continued. Maddie walked over and stood beside her mom as she listened to the officer talk.

"Are you kidding?" Jack asked horrified.

"Now step aside." Officer Schneider ordered.

"Come on officer," Maddie said stepping forward. Maya put her hand in front to stop her from going any further as she looked at her teenage daughter.

"Do not get involved in this Maddie. You shouldn't even be here," Maya told her daughter as she wanted to speak to the police and insist that they do something.

"I know... I couldn't help myself," Maddie shrugged.

"I can smell Gas," Dean repeated.

"I do. I smell it. " Jack agreed.