26. Memorial Service

"Hey. We're back!" Maya called out as they walked into the apartment after they had gotten back from the station. There wasn't any response, "Maddie?" She called out for her teenage daughter.

"I'm in my bedroom!" Maddie called out from her bedroom.

Maya furrowed her eyebrow, realizing that Maddie hadn't actually left her bedroom the whole time that they'd been out.

"I'm starting to get worried about her," Maya confessed to Carina.

"What do you mean, Bella?" Carina wondered, confused about what Maya meant.

"Maddie hasn't left her bedroom the whole time we were out," Maya expressed her worries. Carina cocked her head confused. "Let alone barely ate and well she's slept but only when Sarah was next to her." She added.

"Maddie, come here, Bambina," Carina called out to the teenager. It was a few seconds later that Maddie appeared out into the hallway.

"What?" Maddie asked. Carina was taken back and surprised by her sudden attitude.

"We just wanted to check that you were okay," Carina stated. Maddie nodded and shoved her hands in her pockets.

"I'm fine. Can I go back to my room now?" Maddie asked clearly not in the mood to talk. Maya sighed and nodded her head.

"You know it's not good to keep that grief built up inside of you. I know that you're hurting as well so if you need to cry then just do it," Maya told her daughter who shook her head furiously.

"I'm fine Mom, honestly. I am fine." Maddie insisted, trying to bury all the emotions that she was feeling inside. Maya frowned, not believing a word that her daughter had said but letting it go for the sake of saving an argument between the mother and daughter duo. "Can I go to my room? " Maddie repeated. Maya just sighed and nodded, watching her daughter sceptically for any sort of breakdown in the midst.

"Alright, go on then." Maya agreed with a sigh.

"Hold on a second Bambina," Carina said, Maddie paused and looked at the Italian confused, "Don't leave it too long to get ready for the Memorial," She told the blonde girl.

"What Memorial, tonight? For Zio?" Maddie asked.

"Si. It's tonight at Grey-Sloan. All of the doctors will be there," Carina explained.

"Ben is going to take us but if you don't want to come then I can always ask Andy, Vic or somebody else at the station if you can stay with them?" Maya asked, uncertain if Maddie was going to come or not.

"No, no, it's okay. I want to come to the Memorial," Maddie said which surprised both of the adults thinking that she wouldn't want to attend. "I want to say goodbye," she added quietly.

"Okay. Well, you will need to get ready soon," Carina stated, checking the time on her watch to see that it was close to 5 pm already.

"I am just going to finish watching the movie that I am watching and then I will get ready," Maddie said. Maya frowned.

"Kiddo, perhaps just leave the movie until another day or something, you won't have enough time to watch it now and then get ready," Maya said. Maddie frowned.

"It'll be fine. I will have enough time to do both." Maddie said before she walked away into her bedroom. Maya sighed and shook her head.

"What's the matter, Bella?" Carina wondered as they both went into their bedroom to get themselves ready for the Memorial service.

"I am just worried about Maddie," Maya said with a sigh. "I know that she has all of this built-up grief that she is refusing to let out, she refuses to cry and I am worried that it's not good for her," Maya continued to express her feelings.