52. Welcome To The Family

"Don't show me your cards," Katherine playfully told her granddaughter as she sat beside the teenager as they attempted to play a game of cards.

It had almost been a whole week since Maddie woke up in the hospital, she still had a concussion so her memory still wasn't great and she still felt in pain but all the thirteen-year-old wanted to do was leave the hospital. It was evident in her voice that the teenager was unhappy, all the visitors that had come and gone had noticed the change in her mood and no matter what any of them did, she still wasn't happy.

In the short time of the week, Maddie had gotten to know most of the doctors, it was mostly Amelia and Bailey that visited her, with the occasional visit from Hayes as well. It was well-known to the nurses at least that Maddie hated being in the hospital, even going as far as to throw the Jello at one of the nurses. When the two moms heard they weren't too pleased and felt awful that Maddie was still stuck in the hospital.

"I don't get this game," Maddie said as she let out a huff and threw her cards down on the makeshift table in front of her. "It's so stupid. I don't want to play it." She muttered as she crossed her arms in frustration.

Katherine let out a sigh and gave her granddaughter a soft smile, she understood the wanting to get out of here and if anything. "Okay then, well how about we read a book? I could read it to you if you would like that, like when you were younger?" she offered. Maya and Carina were both outside getting coffee, they thought it would be a good idea for Katherine to try and cheer the teenager up, they hated seeing her in such pain.

"I don't want to read. I don't want to play a stupid card game. I just want to get out of this hospital!" Maddie suddenly snapped and she realized what she had done. "No offence Grandma, but I just want to sleep..." she mumbled as she sunk down in the bed and turned her face away from the older women.

"Okay sweetheart, I'll leave you be," Katherine said, agreeing before she stood up and walked out of the hospital room.

"Any luck?" Maya questioned as she spotted her mom coming out of Maddie's hospital room on the PEDS floor after the doctors decided there wasn't any need for the ICU anymore.

"Not much I'm afraid. I tried to play a game of cards with her and read, but I think that being in hospital is really getting to her now," Katherine said as she looked through the window to see the girl curled up in the bed.

"Hopefully it's not too long now at least," Carina said as she took in the sight of her daughter who lay in the hospital bed.

Maya let out a sigh and chewed on her bottom lip anxiously. "I wish that there some way that we could cheer her up," she said.

"Maybe you can give your brother a call? I mean, he is bound to cheer her up?" Katherine suggested.

"Yeah, that's not a bad shout actually. I'll drop him a text now," Maya said as she picked up her phone to text her brother.

"Thank you for sitting with her Katherine," Carina said as she smiled at her mother-in-law.

"No problem," Katherine said as she smiled in return. "I just hope that she isn't to upset..." she said as she looked back at her granddaughter.

"Looks like she's gone back to sleep," Carina observed from outside the room.

"Yeah, she yelled at me and then told me she wanted to sleep so I left to her too it." Katherine told them both.

Maya furrowed her eyebrow in shock. "Maddie yelled at you?" she questioned.

Katherine nodded slightly. "Yes, but I understand that she was frustrated so it's okay," she said.