83. Burnt Turkey

"I don't understand why I have to be here today," Maddie complained, walking through the doors of reception.

Maya followed her daughter through the doors afterwards, carrying a box of stuff for their Thanksgiving dinner.

"It's Thanksgiving," Maya stated.

"That's still not a reason," Maddie pointed out.

"Okay then, it's a day to celebrate with family, and last I checked you were a part of this family, are you not?" Maya smirked, climbing the stairs.

Maddie huffed and followed her Mom up the stairs.

"Guess so," The blonde teenager mumbled.

"Exactly, so stop being so grumpy about this. Your uncles will be more than happy to see you," Maya told her daughter.

The mother and daughter duo walked into to locker room, Maddie sat down on the bench while Maya quickly changed into her uniform.

"I don't get why I couldn't just hang out with friends today," Maddie said.

Maya poked her head around the door of her bunk and looked towards her daughter.

"Need I repeat myself? It's Thanksgiving," The older blonde told her daughter.

Maddie huffed and leaned back against the lockers.

"You're no fun anymore," The teenager said.

Maya walked out of her bunk, dressed in her uniform as she tucked her shirt into her trouser pants.

"Well, that's what happens when you become a mom to a teenager who insists on always getting herself into trouble all the time," The older blonde teased.

"Why couldn't I just have gone into work with mama?" Maddie questioned.

"Because we decided that you would come here with me and then your mama would meet us here. It was easier this way," Maya explained.

"It doesn't seem like it," Maddie replied.

Maya gave her daughter a pointed look as she continued to fix her uniform.

"Okay, let's drop the grumpy attitude and go say hi to everyone," Maya suggested, motioning her daughter to walk towards the beanery.

"Wonderful," Maddie muttered.

The two of them walked out of the locker room and headed into the beanery, not before bumping into Sullivan on the way in.

"Hey, look who's here," Sullivan exclaimed, noting the appearance of the teenager.

"Hey, Sully!" Maddie waved.

Depsite the differences that there was, Maddie was quick to forgive the firefighter for what had happened and got on with him now like she had before.

"Hey, Sullivan," Maya greeted the man.

"Happy Thanksgiving to you both," Sullivan smiled.

"Yeah, you too," Maya replied.

The three of them headed into the beanery to find Travis, Emmett and more surprisingly, Vic. The only one to notice her appearance straight away was Maddie.

"Oh, look, Auntie Vic's here!" Maddie noted, pointing over to the sink.

"What?" Maya asked shocked.

Maya looked over at the woman slightly surprised to see her here. Maddie hurried over and wrapped her arms around the woman which threw her off guard, almost dropping the potato peeler in the sink.