Chapter 13

I looked down onto the phone again and took a deep breath in. The last time I had actually spoken to Lucas was when we "cleared" our fight before he left the UK again. Since then, we had only been texting. We didn't even do that much if I was being honest. With a shaking hand, I pressed the green button. The phone was lifted to my right ear.

"Hey, Lucas.", I greeted him and awaited his answer nervously. The line stayed silent for a couple of moments, then his voice rang out.

"Hey.", he said quietly. He stayed silent for another moment. I didn't dare to speak. I mean, he was the one that called me so he should talk first. But to my disappointment, he just stayed silent.

"Is everything okay?", I asked carefully and tested the water with this question. Another period of silence was my answer. "Did something happen?", I asked again and went quiet to wait for his answer. An unwell feeling grew in my chest and nervousness let my heart beat faster than usual.

"No, nothing has happened.", Lucas finally stated. "I just-" His voice broke off and I couldn't help but imagine somebody interrupting his thoughts. I didn't know why but I imagined exactly that. Maybe a manager, maybe another girl or somebody else. I really couldn't know. But somebody was definitely with him in that room. 

"What is it, Lucas?" My voice was soft and cautious, the complete opposite of what I was feeling right now. He seemed too vulnerable to speak up, even though we were talking through a phone. 

"I, ehm.", he started and looked for the right words. "Where are you right now?" His sudden determination in his voice caught me by surprise. I stayed silent for a moment and leaned back against the headrest of the bed. 

"In a hotel room.", I replied cautiously. "Why?"

"Where exactly?", he asked ignoring my question. 

"In Northampton." Confusion clouded my judgement and thoughts. What the hell was going on? "Why are you so interested in that?"

"So, you're with him right now?" He once more ignored my question. In his voice, there was something like a heavy accusation, I just didn't know why. I never gave him a reason to doubt both me and my loyalty. I was so confused about what was going on right now. In an attempt to clear my thoughts, I shook my head and closed my eyes. 

"What?", was the only thing I brought forward. 

"Are you with him right now?", Lucas repeated that question with even more emphasis. He now sounded angry. I've never experienced him like that. "Are you with that Lando guy right now?"

"No, I'm not.", I answered quickly and determined. It was the truth. But based on his state right now, I shouldn't tell him Lando had just left the room. Lucas wasn't amused, and I was scared. He never talked or reacted to me that way.

"I'm all alone in my bedroom and was just listening to some music, then you called." My explanation was the truth, I just let out the little part of me having guests over. Lucas on the other side of the line stayed quiet. The only thing that I could hear was his steady breathing. It was deep like he tried to calm himself down. 

"But you went to that racing circuit in England, didn't you?" His voice was a little calmer now but there was still a lot of anger and frustration in there. My fingers found a loose thread on my trousers and began to fumble with it. 

"Yes, but-", I tried to reply but he cut me off. 

"Why didn't you tell me about it?", he asked with a louder voice than before. My eyebrows narrowed and my confusion grew even bigger. 

"What do you mean?", I asked him back, still scared and unsure about the entire situation.

"You should have told me about your plans.", Lucas stated determinedly.