Chapter 43

"I'm alright.", I answered him and turned around. I was thirsty, and I still had some leftovers of the tea I made this morning. It was cold by now, but I didn't mind. I would still drink it anyway. My hand grabbed the closest mug and closed the cupboard above my head again. When I turned around, Lando was still looking at me. 

"I don't believe that.", he simply said. We hold eye contact for some moments, then I looked back down. I grabbed the pot of tea sitting on the other side of the counter.

"Well, it's the truth.", I whispered while pouring the rest of the tea into my mug. My eyes didn't dare to look up again. I knew he didn't believe me. If I had to hear myself, I wouldn't believe me either, so I changed the subject as quickly as I could. 

"How are you, though? Any other injuries that occurred from the crash?"

My eyes went up to meet his again. He held in for another moment, eyed the details of my face, then parted his lips a little bit. The mug went up to my mouth and I took a big sip.

"Only a couple of bruises.", he stated. I nodded. I felt a little uncomfortable now. Even though I didn't know why. We were fine, everything between us was normal. Or wasn't it? I knew I wasn't the only one who felt the weird atmosphere in my kitchen. 

"And your head is also fine? No symptoms or anything?", I asked further because I wanted to know. As I had said before, I wanted him to be happy and healthy of course. 

"Except for my normal stupidity, everything is fine." Lando grinned a little and made me chuckle as well. I knew he wanted to make little jokes to ease the tension in the room.

"Do you mind me starting to cook? I'm really hungry.", I asked quickly in between our conversations and he shook his head no. I smiled a little, then kneed down to grab a pan. 

"I was even cleared for training.", he added and I shot back up. My eyes found him again.

"You're kidding, right?", I asked him in disbelief. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. He couldn't go back to training. Not yet. He just had this big crash and I didn't think it would be a good idea for him to work out so soon. 

"No, they did clear me. I have written proof if you want to see.", he said and smiled. I immediately knew he was dragging me. I wasn't his mother, even though I might have acted like it in my last sentence. 

"I don't need to see it.", I answered a little annoyed and put the pan down on the stove. I knew he was chuckling to himself, which annoyed me even more. Just because I could, I turned around and started to cut some vegetables with my back turned to him. In hope and prayer that it would make him realise that I didn't appreciate his behaviour right now, I kept my back turned to him. 

"Hey, I was kidding." Lando's voice was still a bit full of humour and joy, but he meant it. I knew him too well to not hear it out of his voice. I just nodded slightly but kept my back turned to him and my attention on the vegetables on the cutting board in front of me. The last thing I needed right now was me cutting myself with that big knife in my hand. 

"I know.", I whispered back and threw the cut carrots into a metallic bowl. Then I grabbed the mushrooms sitting next to me and started to cut them.

"Then why are you mad?", he asked me and I heard some noises. I could only imagine him standing up from the barstool he just sat in. I was right. I saw him walking around the kitchen island in the corner of my right eye. He stopped walking right behind me and leaned on the dark grey marble slap on top of the counter.

"I'm not mad.", I answered. With another quick motion, I threw the cut mushrooms into the bowl to the carrots. 

"Again, I don't believe you." Lando's voice was only a whisper now. I still heard him loud and clear. His eyes were sat on the back of my head and I felt the location burning a little bit. He still had that effect on me. I put the knife down on the counter and turned around to face him. Our eyes immediately connected and I felt a little calmer.