Chapter 15

I moved my hips to get more comfortable in that little stool I sat in. The sky was amazingly blue and free of clouds. My outfit matched the weather perfectly. I was wearing tight, high-waisted, black shorts and a white, also tight crop-top. A little stomach was shown. A light green bomber jacket was supposed to keep me warm, but I already decided to take it off. The sun made me sweat as soon as I stepped out of the car. When I looked at myself back in the hotel, I was surprised at how well my body looked in that outfit. I had been losing some weight over the past weeks. Even though they weren't many, it still showed. 

"Thank you.", I said to the Sky Sports employee, who placed a microphone stand in front of me. He smiled at me for a moment, before disappearing again. Natalie and Martin Brundle were sitting both on a stool next to me, each on one of my sides. They were talking with both a producer of the show and Julian, going through the questions once more. I didn't know what else to do, so I looked around the people who were already working in the paddock or motorhomes. My phone in the back pocket of my shorts vibrated and I pulled it out quickly. 

Daniel, 8:57
"I thought you had a day off of work?"

I looked up again and scanned the surroundings. He had to see me right now according to his text. Almost right in front of me, well at least 30 meters apart, he stood in the shadow of the McLaren motorhome and watched me. His white polo shirt clearly separated his figure from the black tinted glass in the background. I didn't want to get in more trouble with Julian, so I pushed the phone back into my pocket while shrugging my shoulders in his direction. My eyes mentioned to Julian and Daniel nodded understandingly. He then followed his PR guy into the McLaren facility. I tried to focus my attention back on the conversation between the two moderators and my manager. The producer already left.

"Well, we can start if you're ready, Tia?", Natalie told me and I nodded. Julian left the little podium, where we were sitting while shooting me a warning look. He expected me to not follow his instructions, but I didn't plan on doing that. I wanted to keep my job, thank you very much. Natalie, Martin and I looked into the camera. Right behind it, one of the employees counted down from three with his fingers. This interview will be recorded, and then later shown on live TV. 

"Yes, thank you. We are talking to Tia Gauvin right now.", Natalie created a little fictional transition. She turned her body a little more towards me. "How are we feeling this lovely morning?" I smiled at her. Even though she had a lot of instructions from Julian, she was still the nicest reporter I knew. 

"I'm great, thank you. The weather couldn't be better for this exciting day and I'm just looking forward to the race.", I answered and then turned to Martin. I knew that they would ask questions alternating. 

"Now, of course, the first thing I have to ask you is about the photo that was posted to McLaren's Instagram yesterday. Did you see that photo and the reactions it induced?" He was smiling at me politely as well. I didn't know him as well as Natalie, but he seemed nice too. At least that is how he presented himself in the few minutes I've been with him. 

"I did see that photo, yes.", I started my answer. "My manager showed it to me this morning and I was a little overwhelmed about the reactions, but the fans were so sweet, so how could you not enjoy such a reaction."

"Overwhelmed really? Why's that?", Natalie asked me synthesising my statement. 

"Well because I didn't think it would cause that much attention. I certainly didn't mean to do it and I think a lot of fans interpreted the entire situation in a wrong way." My words seemed way more confident than I actually was. This entire interview and the lies I was going to tell felt uncomfortable and wrong, but I knew I had a job to do. I just hope this interview would clear things up and enabled me to go back to my normal life, with normal and well-defined relationships.