Chapter 41

"Wait, so you came here right after you performed at the O2 Arena?" 

I laughed as Lando repeated this question for the second time. He had asked me how I was in Italy this quickly, and I had answered him. Obviously, he couldn't quite wrap his head around it. 

I was still sitting on the bed next to him. Daniel and Max had left the room a couple of minutes ago to get something to eat. The morning had almost passed. Lando and I spend the three hours just talking, sometimes involving the other two as well. 

"Yes.", I answered when I had the chance to in between my laughter. "How many times do I have to tell you?"

"I just can't believe you performed there! That's amazing.", Lando said and once more rested his hand on my arm. A nice warmth was created at the spot where we touched. A smile appeared on my face. 

"Yeah, I couldn't believe it when Perrie and Anne-Marie asked me to join them for this show.", I said happily. Chatting to Lando like that was the thing I probably missed the most about being around him. The feeling it gave me was nice and comfortable. It almost felt like I came home. 

"Weren't you nervous?", he then asked me and looked directly into my eyes. 

"Oh, I was shitting myself.", I answered immediately and made us both laugh. His hand left my arm and left a cold spot on my skin. He wiped his eyes, then looked back at me. 

"I would have been, too." I could tell he felt just as comfortable as I was talking like this. His voice was calm, yet happy, and the smile never left his face. My eyes went down to my hands, as I tried to control my smile. 

"But I'm happy I did it. It's an amazing feeling to perform in front of these audiences. And my outfit was amazing." I did that on purpose. I raised my eyebrows as I looked at him again. The tease was set clearly on his face. 

"Well, well, well.", he said quietly as he still hold eye contact. "I just hope for you it's online on YouTube somewhere." His eyebrows raised a little as well when we both giggled. Gosh, we were acting like teenagers. I looked out of the window as a short silence settled in between us. 

"I'm really glad you're here."

I turned back around to Lando as he destroyed the silence. I knew his eyes never stopped to look at me when I turned my head to the window. I had this tingling feeling on my skin like I had when I caught him staring in the paddock or somewhere else. 

"Me too.", I replied without breaking eye contact. "I was so scared when I saw the crash."

I wanted to express how bad I felt the entire flight here. That I was scared for his life. And that I was worried about his racing career as well. I knew how much it meant to him and I never would want for him to stop because of an accident. This would be the worst way to end your career, I reckoned. And I prayed for him to never have to experience this. 

"But I'm okay.", he said with a voice that tried to convince me. 

"I know. And I thank god for it. I didn't know what I would have done if something bad had happened to you." My eyes once more went to the outside and I watched the leaves dance in the slight wind. Lando still looked at me.

"Hopefully nothing bad.", he said. "But as I said, I'm okay and I think we shouldn't talk about what would have been anymore. It's just ruining our mood." I turned back to him. He looked at me in all seriousness. A little smile appeared on my lips for a moment, then it disappeared again. I looked down at my hands, then back up as I started to speak. 

"So, what are your plans now?", I asked him. His eyes went down to my lips, then back up to my eyes when I added something. "Are you going home or do you have to meet the team somewhere?"