Chapter 26

When I woke up the next morning, I turned around to the other side of the bed. I expected a warm body heat coming from there, but it was stone cold. My hand felt for my boyfriend, but the entire side of the bed was empty. A little confused about why Lucas wasn't here, I opened my eyes. Which was when I realised what a crazy day yesterday had been.

I sneaked out with Pierre to watch the Canadian Grand Prix with the Alpha Tauri team. Lando told me that apparently Lucas was hired to be my boyfriend. The crazy race where Lando overtook the first two cars on track with only one lap to got to secure his maiden win in Formula One. The celebrations with him down at the podium and back in the McLaren hospitality. Then the silent drive with my managers. And the closure of that night: the kiss with Lando. 

I still was unsure how I was supposed to react in this situation. On the one hand, I had a bad conscience, thinking about my boyfriend and the way I loved him. On the other hand, I knew very well that I enjoyed that kiss and the time I spent with Lando. And then there were these accusations from Lando towards Lucas. I really needed to figure out and solve this thing. Not just for Lucas and Lando, but most importantly for me. 

The notification ringtone of my phone went off and told me I got another notification. I woke up once in the middle of the night and heard it then as well. Grunting, I turned my head around and grabbed my phone from the nightstand. I expected it to be a notification from Instagram or something, but it was a text message. Not just one, but about twenty of them. All were from Fifi. A sudden alarming state let my body sit up straight and lean against the bedframe. I blinked a couple of times to get a clear vision of my screen and the texts. 

Fifi, 04:34
"OMG TIA"

Fifi, 04:45
"Did you see the recent pictures?"

Fifi, 04:46
"How the hell did you manage to do that?"

Fifi, 07:56
"I thought everything was good between you and Lucas?"

Fifi, 07:56
"Wait, are you dating this motorsport guy now?"

These were only a couple of the messages she sent me, probably also the most important and confusing ones. It was still too early for me to function properly, so I just texted a quick "What do you mean?" back and let my phone down onto the little table again. My hands rubbed my eyes for a moment. I knew I needed to get up and get ready. My flight would be leaving at 11, so we would be leaving in an hour at the very latest.

I walked over to my suitcase and grabbed a grey hoodie out of there, along with some comfortable jeans. I didn't even care to do my makeup. While I was getting dressed, Fifi responded to my question. 

Fifi, 8:01
"So I guess you didn't see the latest pictures of both you and Lucas?"

Tia, 8:01
"No, I didn't. What do they show?"

Instead of replying with a normal text, Fifi sent me two links to some Instagram posts. The first one showed me and Lando back in the hospitality of McLaren yesterday, where we were standing really close to each other after our hug. Lando's eyes were locked onto mine and we looked like we were about to kiss. If I didn't know any better, I would say that we were in love. 

Luckily, the camera only showed Lando's full face and my head only from behind. There was no proof that it was actually me, although a lot of comments claimed that they knew it was me. I mean it was, but there was just no proof for it. A little guilty feeling grew inside my chest and made my breaths shorter. I felt like I couldn't breathe properly. What if Lucas sees these? How would he react? Well, I knew how, if I was being honest to myself. He would be mad and would scream at me until I cry, only for him to feel bad and apologise later.