Chapter 40

"Oh, by the way.", I said before actually walking out of the door. My body turned around to face Max once more. "I brought you guys these. Coffee and breakfast. I bet the hospital food sucks." Without saying another word, Max took the cups and the bag. He smiled at me sadly and I didn't need to know what he was thinking. 

Even though Stacey had told me she would wait in the corridor, she was gone when I exited the room. I looked in each direction, but she wasn't there. With quick steps, I made my way back to the elevator and quickly pressed the button. The urge to just get out of here and forget about everything that I saw in that room grew bigger and bigger. I tried to push away all the thoughts that created themselves in my mind but the picture of the girl sleeping next to Lando didn't move an inch. 

The elevator door finally opened and I got in. Pressing the button for the main floor, I pulled out my phone and checked my messages. 

Stacey, 06:37
"I'm checking us in into the hotel that I booked. Call if you need anything."

Daniel, 06:28
"Did you make it to the hospital?"

I needed some time alone to cry but I wasn't ready to admit that. I was finally being clear about loving Lando and he was with some random girl. I never expected him to be like this, especially after what he had told me at the café, that he was willing to wait for me. 

I felt tears welling up in my eyes, as the elevator beeped for every storey it passed. I blinked a couple of times, just to push them in again. I wanted to cry my heart out, but not here and not now. I needed to be alone. While still blinking, the doors opened again. With quick steps, I crossed the lobby and went through the entrance doors.

With my head down, I tried to blink away the tears again and walk through the parking lot at the same time. It went miserably, as I bumped into a shoulder after only a couple of meters. My head shot up in surprise and I met some light brown eyes. Familiar eyes, I soon recognised. 

"Tia! You look...", Daniel greeted me but held in as he scanned my face with worried eyes. "tired and sad." I inhaled a deep breath, then wiped away the single tear that fell down my cheek. 

"Well, I am", I said. Then added: "both." Daniel's eyes still scanned my face, but this time with more worried and sympathetic eyes. 

"Why?" Daniel's voice was quiet and only a whisper. He laid his arms around me and pulled me into his chest. My arms immediately went around his body without me thinking of it. His body warmth calmed me down a little and made me feel safe. I felt more tears running down my cheeks, and I bet they soaked Daniel's black graphic t-shirt, but I didn't really care and Daniel didn't seem to either. 

"It's stupid.", I told him, well more into his t-shirt, and shook my head. 

"I bet it's not.", Daniel replied. I stayed quiet for moments. The only answer I gave was my head shaking to the sides. I sniffeled my nose, then readjusted my head to get more comfortable. The comfortable situation I was in didn't hold for long, though. Daniel raised his arms to my shoulders and pushed my body away from him. I immediately looked down. One of his hands rested on my shoulder, the other one lifted my chin up and forced me to look at him. 

"It's bothering you. So tell me." His words were still only a whisper, but I had no choice than to tell him. He didn't leave me with another choice. And it was more than clear that he didn't play around. He wanted me to be happy and if I was not, he needed to know. Like a great friend he was. 

"Can we just not do it here?", I asked him as I dropped my gaze back to the ground again. 

"Of course. There's a river close by. You want to go there and sit at the water?", he asked me carefully and I nodded. His hand finally dropped from my shoulder and laid on my lower back, as he gently pushed me away from the hospital.