Chapter 25

After Lando left to celebrate with his team, I tried to hide from my managers who had been running around the paddock looking for me. I failed eventually, though. They found me some minutes after I was being left alone in the McLaren motorhome. Now I was stuck in a car with them and I had to listen to Julian's disapproving words. I didn't really realise what he was saying though, because the feelings came back to me.

The feelings that overtook me when Lado told me about Lucas and how he had been hired to be my boyfriend. I didn't say a single word during the entire car ride back to the hotel, and Julian gave up lecturing me eventually. He realised himself that I wasn't listening or even mentally present. 

As soon as the car stopped in front of the hotel, we got out of the car in silence. Not a single soul was talking and the silence was somehow calming. Being lectured again wasn't anything I could take anymore. I just wanted to face Lucas and ask him about the recent accusations from Lando's side. I also needed to escape the presence of my managers. Recently they had been more than a pain in the ass and I realised back at the track that I really needed some time off. I decided I would ask for that when I had talked things out with Lucas. 

"Good night.", I said to my managers politely, but without emotions, as the elevator stopped on my storey. They mumbled their farewells as well, not because they wanted to wish me a good night, but because they had to. I quickly stepped towards my hotel room. Nervousness and anger now overtook my entire body and I couldn't stop my hand from shaking when I held up the card against the sensor. I also felt tears built up in my eyes, but I didn't want to cry already. I didn't even know if what Lando told me was true. Maybe he was just trying to break me and Lucas up because he was in love with me? Was that something people do when they were in love?

The big and heavy white door finally swung open and I faced a pretty dark room. The blinds covered most parts of the windows and denied the sunlight to light up the room. Overall the entire hotel room seemed left lonely and empty. Where was he? Was he taking a nap? At five in the afternoon?

"Lucas?", I asked into the room as quiet as I could as I stepped foot onto the carpet floor. I expected an answer, something like a happy greeting, but I was confronted with more silence. My eyebrows narrowed. This was odd. 

My hands let my backpack drop onto the floor at the foot end of my bed and I scanned the big white sheets. It was unmade, but it didn't seem like there was somebody in there sleeping. The confusion now overtook and pushed the nervousness and anger aside. Where the hell was he?

I stepped even more into the room and towards the big golden curtains. With one swift motion, I pulled them apart so sunlight flooded the room. Even after turning around again, I found the room empty. My eyes scanned the floor and this was when I realised what was going on. 

Lucas's bags and his suitcase was gone. The nightstand, that he usually used to charge all of his electronic devices was also empty. Not a single sign was pointing to him spending the next night here in this hotel room. I realised that he had left without telling me or letting me beforehand, but I couldn't quite wrap my head around it. He wouldn't just leave me, would he?

Just to be a hundred percent certain, I walked over to the bathroom and checked if his toiletries were still there. His toothbrush was gone. His face washing gel was gone. The special toothpaste he used to keep his bleached teeth as white as they were was also gone. The only things that were left in the bathroom were the things I used. So he really just left without telling me. Wow. Did he know that Lando told me about his contract? Or maybe he needed to get to a last-minute appointment? That was an option, right?

Just to make sure I didn't ignore a text from him, I checked my phone. But just as I feared, there was no text message from my boyfriend. My fingers automatically looked up our chat and I typed a quick message.