Chapter 9

It's still raining heavily when the Hogwarts Express pulls into the station

It's still raining heavily when the Hogwarts Express pulls into the station. The sun has been behind the horizon for a good while now, and the storm clouds and fast falling rain make it hard to see any stars, or even the moon. Castor and Pollux wait for Harry, Ron, and Hermione to gather their things, each of them now wearing their uniforms, doing their best to shield themselves from the rain. Castor wears her dark winter overcoat with her blue and bronze Ravenclaw scarf wrapped tightly around her neck. Pollux leads the younger 3rd years towards the carriages. Castor uses her wand to cast an almost invisible umbrella, and she waits until she sees Neville, Ginny, and Luna board safely into their own carriage before following after her brother.

"Your Pukwudgie is showing." Pollux teases her. Castor laughs along with everyone else, looking out the foggy windows towards their home for the next 9 months. Once they arrive and make their way up the steps, Harry and Hermione are pulled aside by Professor McGonagall, simultaneously she shoos away Ron, and the Jones twins. With wave of his hand, Pollux separates from the two of them, making his way towards the Slytherin table with his hands in his pockets. Ron follows after Fred and George to the other side of the Great Hall, and Castor makes her way towards the very front of the Ravenclaw table to look for an empty seat, sitting across from Cho Chang and her friends, who greet her politely.

Soon the sorting is done, all the new first years seated nervously at their new houses. One of the new first years is seated beside Castor, so small and short in stature, but looking excited all the same, with her brunette hair pulled into two braids and practically tripping over her new robes. She waits as her Head of House, Professor Flitwick, leads the frog choir in song, the final note being a loud croak from an overly large toad. As soon as the choir disperses to their own house tables, the headmaster stands from the teacher's tables to make his yearly opening speech.

"Welcome! Welcome! To another year at Hogwarts!" He greets everyone loudly and happily. "Now I'd like to say a few words before we all become too befuddled by our excellent feast. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin, who's kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Good luck Professor!"

The Great Hall applauds politely, and Professor Lupin stands somewhat clumsily, giving a short bow of thanks before sitting down again. Castor looks to her brother, who's already looking her way, nodding his head in approval of the teacher he would be assisting this year.

Pollux hears Draco Malfoy hissing Harry's name, trying to get his attention. The older 5th year rolls his eyes and looks back towards the front as Professor Dumbledore continues his speech.

"And finally, our professor for Care of Magical Creatures has decided to retire, in order to spend the rest of his days with his remaining limbs." Castor laughs gently but somewhat confused. Who is teaching the class? "Fortunately, I am delighted to announce that his place will be taken by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid."

Castor beams at the tall man, who stands to his feet, knocking into the table and giving the Great Hall a wave of his hand. Her applause is much more enthusiastic than most others save for Pollux, and the trio seated at the Gryffindor table.