Chapter 42

The weather could not have been more perfect the night of the dance

The weather could not have been more perfect the night of the dance. It was gently snowing, yet not so cold that it was miserable to be outside. Classes ended early, a good thing for the professors, who all struggled to keep their students on task during the day. Castor had barely been able to answer the riddle given by the bronze eagle, Eliza's excited chattering echoing in the spiral tower.

"This old one runs forever, yet never moves at all. He has not lung, nor throat, but still a mighty roaring call. What am I?"

"A waterfall." Eliza had barely paid the riddle any attention, only following Castor up the stairs to retrieve their outfits for the night. They were going to sneak into Gryffindor tower to help Hermione and Ginny get ready.

"I'm so nervous." Hermione breathed, her voice shaking slightly.

"There's no need." Castor twisted her curls up into a sleek bun at the back of her head, moving to lean down and pull parts of her bangs to frame the young woman's face. "Nobody will be able to take their eyes off you." Hermione blushed as Castor moved aside so Eliza could help her with her makeup. She'd already helped Ginny with her hair, as well as helping her into her dress. The young woman had left early to meet up with Neville.

"Do you need help with your dress?" Eliza asked, her own hair and makeup already done perfectly, gentle neutral makeup with her hair curled and pulled halfway up and out of her face

"Do you need help with your dress?" Eliza asked, her own hair and makeup already done perfectly, gentle neutral makeup with her hair curled and pulled halfway up and out of her face. She was already wearing her dress, though she was waiting until the very last minute to put her heels on. Hermione had disappeared to pull her dress on, and with an excited gasp at the periwinkle ruffled fabric, she zipped her up. "Hermione! It's gorgeous!"

The Gryffindor giggled excitedly, blushing as she looked at herself in the mirror. "Thank you. I hope my date likes it."

"Can I know who it is now?" Castor begged as she called from the bathroom where she was pulling her own dress on. She'd barely heard the other girl's answer before she peaked her head out into the red and gold room. "I'm sorry, did I just hear you say you were going to the Yule Ball with Viktor Krum?!" Hermione nodded with another blush. "Shut up!" Castor grinned at her. "I'm not gonna lie, I'm a bit jealous."