Chapter 50

Castor felt like she was going to be sick

Castor felt like she was going to be sick. She didn't think she had ever felt this nervous. Not when she and Pollux first stepped into the Great Hall back at Ilvermorny. Not when her brother donned a permanent scowl after their Uncle had showed up at their apartment to inform them their mother had died.

Not even when her name was called from the Goblet of Fire, or the way she felt everyone's eyes piercing her skin. Even then, she was worried about Harry.

She felt those eyes on her now, how everyone was staring at her from every angle. They were staring at the other champions as well, Harry sitting calmly on her right, nibbling at his breakfast as he tried to ignore everyone watching him. But she found that she couldn't even stomach a swallow of pumpkin juice. Pollux was most definitely aware of the extra attention on them as well, and he glared at some of the nosier onlookers that stared in their direction.

"You should eat something." Ron whispered to her across the table. Castor lifted her eyes a fraction to meet his gaze. He had the 'worried brother' look on his face, the one he used when he was being particularly protective over Ginny. She sighed and dropped her head into her hands. If Ron was worried about her, then she probably looked as bad as she felt.

"I can't." She whispered back. Pollux turned from looking around the Great Hall to look over at his sister, the same worried look on Ron's face now taking over his own features. "I just have this horrible feeling."

"What is it, Castor?" Pollux leaned into her left side, whispering to keep the conversation between the four friends. Hermione had mentioned that she was going to be late for breakfast, but she did not mention why. Harry leaned into her right side, barely touching his shoulder with hers. Her anxiety was beginning to overwhelm him, and if it was setting him on edge, he couldn't imagine the dreaded gut feeling burning into the bottom of his sister's stomach.

"It's nothing." She lied immediately. She reached around to squeeze Harry's shoulder, trying to put him at ease for the third task in a few hours. "It's just nerves." She send Ron a barely-there smile. Trying to further prove her point she poured herself a cup of tea and sipped it slowly. I have a horrible feeling that something really bad is going to happen. Castor's worried voice was the loudest in his mind, as his sister was directing her thoughts to him.

What do you think is going to happen in that maze?

Nothing good, Dio. She sipped her tea slowly, meeting his eyes over the rim of her teacup. If he looked close enough, he could see how her wrists faltered, how her constantly shifting grasp on the porcelain concealed how much her hands wanted to fidget and shake. I'm really afraid, Pollux.

Pollux grasped her left hand in both of his, making her set her tea back down on the table to cover his hands with her other one. Harry occasionally leaned into her side to nudge her shoulder with his, silently offering the extra courage and comfort she had always given him.