Chapter 46

"I know what the next task is

"I know what the next task is." Harry leaned in to whisper to Hermione, Ron, and Pollux over dinner the next night.

"What?" Pollux startled, having not been able to find Cedric or Harry all day. "How did you figure it out?"

"Cedric gave me a hint to hold it underwater." Harry responded as if it had been obvious all along. Pollux, with his fork halfway to his mouth, paused and looked off in the distance to think about how Cedric could have thought to do the same thing. He was sure he hadn't run into Cedric since the previous night, and to his knowledge, nobody else knew about the second task other than him, Eliza, and Castor.

The other headmasters aren't helping their champions cheat are they?

"Anyways," Harry sighed as he prepared for Hermione's reaction. "I need your help."

"In the library?" Hermione's face grew excited.

"Yes." Harry nodded as Ron groaned dramatically. "In the library."

"Excellent!" She grinned at her two best friends. "We can go after dinner. Before Madame Pince locks it up for the night." She turned to the older Slytherin, who was still staring off into space, deep in thought. "Are you coming?"

"What?" He startled and turned to her. "Sorry, 'Mione. What did you say?"

"To the library? We could really use your help."

Pollux smiled at her. "Sure."

They would spend the next several weeknights after dinner in the library, pouring over books and different texts to search for an answer to the clue from the eggs. Recently, they'd even taken to asking Neville for help, searching for books and different texts that could be useful.

"Tell me again." Hermione paced along the aisles. Harry rested his chin on the book he's been looking through, stressing over the pages and his search for answers to his problem.

"Come seek us where our voices sound..." He recited.

"The Black Lake. That obvious." She continued her pacing.

"An hour long you'll have to look..."

"Again obvious." She tilted her head at him after shaking Ron awake. "Though, admittedly, potentially problematic."

"Potentially problematic?" Pollux echoed in unison with Harry. The older Slytherin boy was beginning to laugh at the unbothered tone of her statement.

"When's the last time you held your underwater for an hour, Hermione?" Harry asked incredulously.

"Look, Harry, we can do this. We can figure it out." She assured him. He looked to Pollux as if to say 'Help me' but she shrugged back at her. He hadn't mentioned anything about Castor attempt to create a potion that would allow them to breathe underwater, purely because he didn't want to give Harry any hope in case it didn't work.