Chapter 48

The following months seemed to be a whirlwind of events

The following months seemed to be a whirlwind of events. Hermione's continued campaigns for S.P.E.W. had not gained much more popularity, only a few more students had bought a badge and helped to knit more of the hats for the house elves. She'd also taken to learning how to knit socks for them to "conveniently" find around their common room. Dobby had, of course, received the first pair, and he'd been so thankful and excited about them he'd put them on right away, waving his feet about to Harry and Castor proudly.

The bushy-haired witch had, unfortunately, been the newest target of Rita Skeeter, another article of lies has been published, with the lies in questions being told by none other than Pansy Parkinson. The Slytherin girl's rumors sparked a slew of hate mail sent to Hermione as well as some harsh comments thrown around the hallways between classes. Castor and Eliza had been furious at the remarks thrown her way. The Ravenclaw roommates had taken to walking Hermione to and from her classes, flanking the Gryffindor on either side, glaring at anyone who dared to try to confront them about it.

No one dared to argue with one of Hogwarts' champions, for fear of what Professor McGonagall would say when she eventually found out.

Another recent event that nobody expected, was for Barty Crouch Sr. to go missing. Harry, who had run into Viktor Krum in the Forbidden Forest, had seen the elder gentlemen speaking to himself as he faced the trees. Harry had run to get help, and when they'd returned, Krum was unconscious, and Crouch was gone.

Castor and Pollux had pondered over it for hours. How could someone just disappear on Hogwarts' grounds so suddenly? And without anyone having seen what happened... It was all just too weird. Too coincidental with Uncle Nathan's disappearance.

There still wasn't any more news on that front. But Professor McGonagall made sure to check in with Castor over a cup of tea every few weeks. The elder witch was becoming more concerned as the months went on. She knew that the Jones twins were of legal age, adults in the wizarding world's eyes, but it did little to stave off her concerns.

Eliza and Pollux had been happy as well. The Jones boy had apologized for scaring her when he got into the fight with Anton, stating that he was just trying to defend her and Castor against the Durmstrang boy. She'd forgiven him, and they'd been spending every Hogsmeade weekend having lunch at the Three Broomsticks. They'd talk about his time spent growing up in America, attending Ilvermorny and the difference between Quodpot and Quidditch.

He would listen aptly as she spoke about her parents, their vacation to France to visit her mother's family every summer, and what areas of the world she wanted to explore for Herbology.

"Did you know there's a wizard in Nepal who's growing gravity resistant trees?" She'd asked him with an excited smile on her face. He'd grinned back at her with a snicker, leaning forward over the table to give her all of his attention.

"I had no idea. Tell me all about it." He laughed lightly. And she did. He could listen to her talk for hours. Her obvious passion for herbology shining through the way Castor spoke about Magical Creatures. He could see why they'd gotten along so aptly now, and he knew she and Castor had probably lectured each other about their passions on more than one occasion.