49. Convergence (VII)

(A/N: I probably said it before but this convergence arc is long....💀💀)
*****
When dinner ended, they all returned to their rooms except for Levi who went out of the inn.

The sun had only began to set so there were still people roaming around outside. Prince Levi only wanted to take a further look at Tohunn, it really was a peaceful village and judging from the state of the inn, it was also not poor.

Tohunn was located at the very edge of the kingdom, not only that it was even right next to the poison forest... yet why was it so... calm? The people didn't even seem dreadful.

This made crown prince Levi curious, as a member of the royal family, he was no doubt fully informed about the various administrations of the different areas in the kingdom but it was still different when seeing it for oneself.

Levi approached one of the citizens who was busy cleaning up his stall for the day. "Pardon me," he called out, he pulled back his hood a little so the other wouldn't find him suspicious.

The middle aged man smiled at him, "sorry, I'm closing for today but if you come early tomorrow I'll have the freshest fruits all laid out," the man said enthusiastically.

"Oh I see," Levi said, "still, let me I ask you something."

The middle aged man was busy packing things but he still nodded, he was quite friendly, he looked at Levi for a bit before saying, "you're not from around here are you?"

"You could tell?" Levi asked.

"Aha of course, this village isn't very large, around here everyone is a familiar face yet I haven't seen any of you before."

Levi nodded his head slowly, "well you're right, this is our first time here."

The middle aged man turned serious, "and I take it you're planning to enter the forest aren't ya?"

"Speaking of," Levi changed the focus of the topic, "the atmosphere in this village is pretty good, despite its... circumstances," he glanced in Ifvnar's direction.

The old man noticed his glance, he suddenly cracked a smile, "it ain't normal for a village to be like this when it's close to such a dangerous place right? Even though the villagers themselves ain't strong, everyone looks pretty happy... well that's cause of the Messengers ya see."

Levi's head slightly tilted, the strands of brown hair that fell over his forehead lightly swayed in the soft wind that did nothing to soften his naturally cold aura. "The Messengers?"

The middle aged man nodded with a hint of pride, "its true that Tohunn is close to ifvnar and the monsters do go past the boundary every once in a while but when they do, the messengers immediately take action."

Levi still had a confused expression on his face, he'd never heard of these 'messengers'.

The middle aged man seemed to realise this as he said, "you'd only know them if you lived along the borders, since that's the only place they appear. Rumour has it that they work for the realm master himself ! One of them comes over every now and then, they stay for a bit and clear out any monsters that get close to the border. When they deem it safe, they leave without a trace."

Levi thought about it, it sounded rather far fetched but still he asked, "how long have they been doing this?"

"Why even before I was born! Though it only became frequent in these last ten years."

Levi was satisfied with what he learned but he still asked curiously, "do you know the identities of these messengers?"

The middle aged man looked a bit doubtful at Levi's question, but he answered, "no, they never give their names let alone show their true faces."