6. Open Your Heart

YN was lightly penning the handsome Jay in his usual pose against the window while absentmindedly listening to the teacher. Whatever he taught was mostly review. The bell rang, and YN jumped, smearing Jay's bangs.

"See ya Jay! Bye YN!" Daniel blurted brightly. Jay paused. They waved to each other.

"Bye Daniel." YN said. Daniel paused and glanced over her shoulder at the illustration of Jay.

"Wow! YN, You're amazing at art!"

"Thanks!" Her forced smile wavered. Drawing was among the many other talents that had blossomed under Sinu's guidance. Although it was painful, she welcomed the recollection of the time.

Just then Daniel's phone rang, distracting him. YN shoved her papers into her bag, catching snippets of conversation from her peers. Three boys, all obsessed with branded clothing items, were discussing Daniel. YN paused, bag halfway slung across her shoulder.

"Poor beggar." one commented.

"His undershirt has no brand name."

"And no watch."

"Cheap- a** f**cking loser."

"I'll make the girls know who he really is."

She forced herself to stop eavesdropping, smirking to herself. Even SHE realized that her interest in Daniel was abnormal. Whether it was because she felt the need to protect him, granted his naivete, or simply because she totally shipped him and Jay, she found it increasingly difficult to stay away. Or maybe, she realized, crossing the threshold of the classroom, He reminds me of Johan. The realization seemed closest to the truth, but YN couldn't pinpoint why that would cause her fascination, or what exactly resembled each other. Of course, her investigation was severely hampered by the fact that she didn't even remember Johan completely. As she was leaving the school premises, Jay tapped her shoulder.

"Four burn knuckles are going to attack Daniel? You want my help to stop them?" YN translated. Jay nodded. YN thought for a moment about her inability to stay away from Daniel Park.. "No." Jay clasped his hands together. YN bit her lip. "Fine." For my ship. YN justified. She nodded absentmindedly as Jay 'told' her not to wear a skirt tomorrow. Sweatpants are more comfortable anyways.

Jay had another request.

"No, I'm not giving him your clothes. Do it yourself. He won't even know who you are if you don't face him."

The next day, around the same time, YN tucked her hair underneath the hood of her everyday plain black hoodie. She put on a black surgical mask, and was unrecognizable. A few moments later all four burn knuckles were lying in the alley, at the mercy of the blond fashion department prince and a short person who looked like a drug dealer.

YN watched around the corner as Jay handed over a single bag of branded clothing, tastefully knowing that Daniel would find it difficult to accept the huge pile he had prepared nearby. Which wasnt to say he didn't leave it with him, forcing him to take it all. She smirked, noting Jay's blush. She remembered Jay's failed attempts at writing Daiel a letter the previous day. As Daneil inquired about Jay's birthday, Jay vanished, reappearing next to YN against the wall of the alley. He was panting with nervousness, but had a smile on his face.

"See?" YN rubbed in. "You should take my advice."

Everyone's jaw dropped when Daniel walked in the next day, dripping in branded clothing. YN noticed Jay smile after he ignored Daniel's thanks. She ducked her head to prevent bursting out laughter and teasing him.

***

School life continued, and YN retrieved no more memories of Johan. Or any more memories at all. Everyday the faces of her past grew fainter, and everyday she amalgamated greater into her 'normal' life. She wasn't sure how she felt about this, as although there were some parts of her past she wished to forget, she had a much greater desire to remember the parts she wished to keep.
    Her routine had fallen into a lull, automatically rising early in the mornings, taking care of Yenna, taking care of her, getting her ready, helping Eli get ready, going to school, putting up a happy facade, avoiding the Burn Knuckles, sitting with Daniel, sometimes alone (at which the bullies previously stalking her would ambush her. It wasn't particularly infuriating, just inconvenient.), coming back from school, job hunting (the fast food place was still under inspection and it didn't look like it would reopen any time soon), sometimes helping out at the flower shop nearby, but being unable to get a job there because the kind but scary-faced owner refused to higher minors without parental permission.
    YN was sure he had good intentions, as it was the common misconception that all runaway minors were bad, and it was less common to actually blame the root cause, the home they had runaway from, but it was still annoying. She needed a job after all, and although she was sure her abusive adoptive parents weren't looking for her much less would have issued a missing alert, she didn't want to risk it. She just hoped she wouldn't forget about that part of her past, and accidentally be turned in to the police. The flowershop owner had a similarly scary-faced daughter, and a boy who appeared to be her boyfriend who would often hang around. He had such a bright face and smile it was often caused a migraine to glance at him for seconds too long. All three were really nice, although you wouldn't know it by looking at Lily, the daughter, and her father's faces.