32. Married???

She drifted to an uneasy sleep despite the chemical, but in the morning her body no longer ached. She absentmindedly performed her regular morning routine, eventually wandered down the hill. She paused at the stolen car that she still hadn't returned. Her heart ached too much to drive it. Sinu had taught her how to drive. Eli had taught her how to hijack cars. A rush of embarrassment flooded her at her cold behavior to Eli the previous day. She had promised to be his family. Those hazy memories of their time with their parents couldn't be right; she was a child, the situation must have felt more dramatic. Surely, Eli wouldn't just watch if she was getting beaten. Because she surely wouldn't just watch if it was him.

She cringed and resisted banging her head on the hood of the car, then calmed herself and proceeded on foot to J High.

She stepped onto campus and glimpsed something that made her want to run away again. A bright purple head with hair combed over the temple to hide the H tattoo. Ugh. She contemplated apologizing but before she could make any decisions Eli was swarmed by a group of girls.

"Hmf." Vin complained. "He's nothing but a pretty face."

YN glanced up, not realizing Vin had snuck up on her, Mary at his side. She stifled a giggle. Oh, if only you knew, Vin.

Vin spared a disdainful glare downwards, not realizing her presence either. "Something funny shorty?"

YN pressed her lips together and shook her head wordlessly.

Vin strode over to Eli, chest puffed like a mating bird. "Hey purple," he growled. Get out of the way. Wanna die?"

Eli smiled. "Haha I'm sorry. I'm going, sorry."

"That's right, be careful punk." Vin said, quite proud of himself. Both YN and his attentions were attracted by something else.

She turned, and almost didn't recognize Daniel. He was wearing a bright blue suit-bottom; she had never seen him come to school without uniform, red tie, and had a distinctly careless expression on his face.

It was most unlike Daniel usually. But like usually, he warded off a girl. It was an older woman this time, decked with expensive brands. Vin glanced over his shoulder at Daniel and was greeted with an annoyed glare. He was distracted by the woman before things could escalate.

"Babe!" The woman protested. Daniel side-eyed her.

"I'm younger than you."

"It's okay, I'm rich."

"Oh man."

"Let's just have a drink. Where are you going?"

Daniel pushed past her, seeming to realize himself. "Where? Of course... I've gotta go to school."

YN was speechless, along with almost everyone else in the courtyard. Was he up all night with that girl drinking? She shook her head trying to process. The plot twist had been so quick. She jogged a little to catch up with Zack and Mira, deciding to ignore Daniel's peculiar actions.

The moment she stepped into the classroom, acidic smell assaulted YN. She recoiled dashed out of the classroom, just barrel making it to the nearest bathroom before and promptly throwing up. Ugh yuck. Booze. Obviously, this was not her usual reaction to the drink, otherwise she would have been long picked off on the streets for her weak nose. Rather, she hadn't been prepared for the few flickers of past traumatic memory that entered her mind. She clutched her forehead as a dark filthy closet, a belt in the hand of a drunk faceless man, and the startlingly clear but emotionless face of Eli. She sighed wearily, taking a moment to wash her mouth and steel herself before stepping back into the fashion department classroom.