41. Date

bit of a filler ep again but i'll update again soon 😭😭🫶🫶🫶

Ringggg, Ringggg. YN picked up the phone. It was an unknown caller.. "Hello?"

"Heyy," The arrogant voice sounded familiar.

"Who is this..?" Her voice tinged with confusion.

"Only the smartest boy you'll ever meet."

A smile spread over YN's face. "Kouji. Hey. What's up? How did you get my number?"

There was an exaggerated sigh over the phone. "C'mon now, I'm literally a tech genius. The real question is how wouldn't I get your number."

The mention of 'genius' faltered her smile. It had been three weeks since she had been told she was now the 'eleventh genius'. She hated the uncertainty, and she hated that she had just been bestowed the title without her consent.

Kouji noticed her sudden silence. "...something wrong?"

"Its... nothing... Why'd you call?" YN tried to make her voice lighthearted again.

"Our date of course,"

"Oh of course how could I forget." Her voice was amused and sarcastic.

"I know! Especially the opportunity with a charming, intelligent, young man like me. Anyways, what do you want to do?"

"Um... I don't know actually, I've never been on a date before."

"...me neither," Kouji said quietly.

"What was that?" YN teased.

"Oh, shut up! Wanna meet at PC Cafe and run some duos?"

"...run some duos? What does that mean?"

"Don't tell me you've never played video games."

"Nope, never played."

Kouji sighed loudly again on the phone. "Disappointing YN, do better." He laughed. "I'll teach you."

"Ok then, you pretentious hipster." YN laughed too. "Friday afternoon?"

"I'll see you then. I'll text the address." Kouji hung up.

YN stared at her phone in shock for a few seconds. She was surprised at how quick and easy and... normal the conversation was. The text with the address popped up a few moments later. Huh... I'm actually going on a date... The concept was mind blowing.

So Friday afternoon, YN pushed into the PC Cafe. She had chosen to dress up a tiny bit that day, exchanging her usual t-shirt and tights for a crop top and cargo pants that she herself made.

Kouji waved her over. He was wearing a yellow letterman jacket and jeans, and perched on a chair. He patted the spinny chair next to him. "I already paid. Want something to eat?"

"Oh you didn't need too... I could have paid."

He raised a cocky eyebrow. "I'm a man with money on my mind. I chase the dough and get the bag. I have way more disposable income than you do."

YN shrugged. He wasn't wrong. "Alright, lets start then. How do you play?"

"We'll start easy. Pull up Fornite."

The computer started humming as it launched the game client and YN made an account.

"Ok, now accept my party invite."

She did so. "Do we just wait for a game..." The queue ended and they were put on the battle bus.

"Follow me off."