7. Crushing Memories

bit disappointed no one caught my webtoon reference last chapter 😢'

Jace called YN at night. "Hey, YN, come hang with Vasco and me! We're at the convenience store."

Although she was a little suspicious, YN decided why not. Even if he was only meeting with her to scout herfighting talent, The Burn Knuckles were all friends. Family almost. Just like B__ ____ and Hostel. Wait what just happened. B__ ____. She panicked. Why can't I remember this??? YN sunk to her knees, covering her ears to concentrate better. She ran through her memories. I remember Sinu, and Jake and Samuel.... Where did I meet them? Where did I learn the most of my fighting abilities? SHe conjured a single memory. Of Jake showing off his new jacket, embroidered with the name. As she tried to focus in, a splitting headache attacked her.

YN gasped in pain and was forced to release the memory. She collapsed, panting. Why is this process so painful? WHy is any of this happening? What else is important that I am forgetting? The new development left YN with a deep sense of loss, and she felt as if she had lost everything that made her happy. She blinked away inexplicable tears and took a few calming breathes. Her urgency to find Johan had increased significantly, but she felt far too scattered to investigate. And, she remembered, I have to go meet Jace and Vasco.

"What's up?" She asked after walking to the convenience store and glimpsing them outside.

"Oh hi YN! How are you?

"I'm good. And you?" She asked suspiciously.

"Good, good. Well... um..."

"Don't beat around the bush."

"I wanted to talk about you joining The Burn Knuckles."

There was a pang in her heart, so painful it almost brought tears to her eyes. Is B__ ____ somehow related to the Burn Knuckles? Regardless, it hurt too much. "Oh yeah, no."

"W-wait, at least hear me out! You don't have to actually join, can you just help us sometimes?"

If B__ ____ and the Burn Knuckles are related... I could gain a hint on my memories. But it also means my priorities may interfere. Sinu appears to be related to B__ ____."I mean, I guess?" YN said finally. "But, if helping you means going against someone I prioritize more, I can't."

It was quite the peculiar statement, at least in Jace's eyes, and he wondered what was going on in that beautiful mind. He shook the thought away, noting his use of the word 'beautiful'. It certainly accurately described her. He was certain he would be able to win over YN despite her reasons to remain standoffish. "Okay that's good enough."

While YN and Jace discussed these developments, Vasco had been watching short Daniel, Jiho, and Duke, who had been sitting outside the store. He suddenly took off. YN and Jace watched as he put out Jiho's cigarette by rubbing it between his fingers.

"Is what you were saying the truth?" he asked Jiho.

"What were they talking about?" YN muttered to Jace. Jace shrugged.

"Daniel? Yeah, he invited us to eat.

"And he had no choice but to fight Zack

"He doesn't show off his strength.

The trio responded enthusiastically, praising tall Daniel. Vasco stood solemnly. Then he turned and returned to YN and Jace, but not before telling short Daniel to work out.

"YN you were right. Daniel is a good person." Vasco said dejectedly.

YN smiled. He looked like a puppy. "Of course I was." She caught his wrist and turned it upwards, displaying Vasco's burnt fingers from extinguishing the cigarette. "Now go get burn balm and whatever else you were going to buy." Jace smiled at her. He really admired her. "Oh, and Jace?" YN asked as Vasco returned to the convenience store. "Where do you work?"