13. Fire

"Ewww who let gremlins in?!" whined a voice.

"Shut up doctor wannabe." YN snapped back.

The person flushed bright red with embarrassment and anger. "I'll have you know I have almost been hired at a clinic. It's more than you have done with your life!"

"You're twice my age dumbass."

"And half the age of most doctors. I am a genius after all."

"Whatever, Wright. That explains why you're in a gang."

"FOR THE LAST TIME YN I'M NOT IN A GANG I JUST WORK IN A CLOTHES SHOP WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!"

YN blinked groggily, eyes crusted with tears. Her un-fractured hand buzzed angrily with the alarm on the phone in her grip. She sighed and rose. It had been almost dawn when she returned to the apartment, so she couldn't have gotten more than two hours of rest. Yenna would wake up any moment now, so YN might as well get up. She leaned back, and a shooting pain in her left arm reminded her of the events that had occurred the previous night. Immediately, her mood dampened, but looking at the sleeping baby by her side, one that had not a care in the world, she forced the thoughts out of her head. She was rummaging through the drawer of random stuff, looking for bandages, when a loud cry alerted her to the fact her housemate had awoken. YN instinctively slammed the drawer shut and ran to the room. Seeing Yenna safe, she sighed in relief.

"You're going to give me a heart-attack." She said good naturedly to the toddler, booping her on the nose. Oh wait. I'm already going to die early. Yenna giggled, interrupting YN's dark thoughts. YN changed her diaper (which was hard to do with one hand), fed her (also hard), then changed.

"Do you want to go to the park?" YN then asked the baby. YN would take Yenna to her daycare again, then go to her job interview (which she hadn't been lying about after all, huge shocker), but they both had some time to kill. Yenna clapped and babbled, which the older girl took as affirmation. YN picked Yenna up and the pair headed out. Yenna walked part the way and was carried part the way. At the park, YN chased after the wild ball of enthusiasm, until Yenna passed out midstep. YN lunged and caught her with amazingly quick reflexes, but also probably setting the recovery of her hand back a few weeks. The baby and the aunt yawned in unison as YN picked Yenna up. She was still incredibly tired from fighting all night, sore from exertion and the blows she didn't dodge, aching from her hand, not to mention overall feeling terrible from the relapse of the X-FLSIH. Still carrying Yenna, sat on a bench and rested, the sun warming her face. Adding on to her recent bad luck, the bandage was too short properly restrict her hand.Yenna snored on YN's shoulder. Suddenly, right before drifting off to sleep, YN felt someone watching her. She opened her eyes. It was Johan, stone-still with a very amusing look of shock on his face.

"I-is that yours???" He squeaked, pointing to sleeping Yenna. YN decided to have some fun.

"Yeah. So what?" She burst out laughing at the look of terror on his face. "Naw, I'm babysitting." Johan sighed in relief, and sat down next to her.

"You look exhausted."

"Yeah, staying up all night fighting a gang will do that... You look terrified."

"I WAS."

"Why?"

Johan sighed and stretched on the bench. "I guess you just never struck me as the person who would... restrict yourself like that. You were always so free, a relationship would only anchor you and prevent you from doing whatever you wanted."

YN considered this. She had, in a way, anchored herself by choosing to stay with Eli. She wondered how much further she could have gotten if she alienated herself like Johan had done. Then she remembered Sinu, who had guarded one street for more than half his life, and that had given him a purpose. So there were two ways of looking at it. The two high schoolers rested in a comfortable silence. YN slumped against Johan's shoulder, completely asleep. The pretty trio made a surprisingly heartwarming picture. Johan jumped, quite startled, but didn't wake her. Something caught his eye, and letting YN bury her face in his shoulder, he lifted one of the slack arms she had wrapped around the baby. It was half bandaged, and on the underside of the wrist there were ugly purple bruises. He hadn't seen those last night. Gently, he lifted her face, and his heart skipped a few beats. A single tear, reflecting the sunlight was streaming down her face. Johan took a second to admire her face, which, in the sunlight, looked like that of a goddess. He cupped his hands around her face and lightly slapped her.