14. The Gremlin's Doctor

The receptionist was a wrinkled old lady that peered at her through crescent glasses. "You have an appointment?"
YN twisted her fingers nervously. "No... But does Wright Smith work here?"
"Yes, but I'm afraid I can't let you in without an appointment dearie."
"I know... But can you just let him know that YN Jang needs to see him."
The receptionist nodded and continued typing.
YN waited there for a few seconds, her fingers painfully intertwined. "Like now...? Please?"
The tiny old lady gave a painful sigh and hobbled off. After a few moments she returned, a surprised look on her face. "He told me to let you in immediately. Quite bizarre, he's usually quite disagreeable about impromptus."
Despite herself, YN grinned. That sounded like Wright. "Thank you."
"Down the hall and to the right."
YN made her way down, but before she even touched the door to knock, it blasted omen and someone slammed into her, wrapping her in a suffocating embrace.
Wright Smith.
Big Deal's doctor,
YN's friend.
A remnant of her past life.
She hugged him back just as aggressively, wiping away her tears on his white coat.

"YN WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG." Wright shook her aggressively. "DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG I'VE WAITED." He pointed at a pair of shiny throwing knives (that were clearly expensive) on display on a glass stand on his desk that looked like it was supposed to hold certificates and not deadly weapons. Wright's eyes were red and watery under his glasses and curly hair. But he was angry. "I got those for you YN. My second paycheck. For you. And you never speak to me again. How could you. How DARE you." He looked like he was about to throw her out so YN raised her hands in surrender.
"I'm sorry Wright. Hear me out."
"I will NOT hear you out. HOW DARE YOU. I WASTED A LOT OF MONEY ON THOSE."
YN paused. A hysterical laugh bubbled up, and she erupted in laughter, laughing so hard that tears of happiness mixed with her sadness. "I'm so s-sorry," she struggled out between laughs. "Never again. I promise."
The anger on Wright's face faded and he squeezed YN in a tight embrace once again."I missed you gremlin."
"I missed you too doctor."

"But why?" Wright asked once they had both composed themselves. Oh, YN sighed. She had forgotten why she had come in the haze of the reunion.
"Wright, you know how when I was at Big Deal, I had no memory of any parents or past life? Well the same thing happened, just with my time at Big Deal, slowly, I was forgetting everything of that time. I could barely remember the name 'Big Deal'. But now I'm here."
Wright stood dramatically by the window. "It is i suppose normal that you forgot your parent's, if they were abusive at least. I'm sure we've discussed that- at least before, back then."
"Better times."
"Forgetting traumatic experiences is normal. But I didn't think Big Deal was that bad."
A joke. YN grinned. But she did think it was that bad. It was losing another family, just like Eli.
"So what made you remember?"
"Oh." A red heat spread across her face. Oh. Wright didn't fail to notice the blush.
"Oh?"
"Yeahh. It just came back to me. Suddenly. Very painfully, might I add."
Wright raised an eyebrow and pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. "I'm sure."
"I hate you, you know that?"
"I'm aware, the feeling is mutual."
"Shut up you love me."
"You're right actually."
"What?"
"What? Anyways, little gremlin, you don't seem nearly as vivacious as I remember. Or perhaps I'm forgetting as well."
YN swallowed. "You're right." Slowly, she turned over her wrist. Wright sucked in a breath as he looked at the dark purple bruises that had yellowed since Johan had noticed them.
"Oh..."
"Yeah..." YN said.
"Well um... it doesn't have to mean that it's back right? It could be something else. It could be maybe-"
"Wright-" YN cut in. "Maybe. But maybe not. I had an episode."
"Oh..."
"Yeah..."
"Blood test?"
"That's probably a good idea. I'm so glad I remembered you, you're the only one I can trust."
Wright didn't respond, preparing a syringe with his back turned. Unbeknownst to YN a shadow flashed across his face, quickly forced away with a feeble grin. "You'll be fineee. You better not die before using those knives."
The pair stayed silent while Wright worked on an ELIZA test.
...
...
"We both know what's going on, Wright."
"No... YN... I guess... Yes we know."
Silently, a tear trickled down YN's face. "I-I don't want to die."
Wright's face was wet as well. "You are NOT going to die. YN- oh fuck, I WILL NOT LET YOU DIE."
"I really hope so, Wright. If there is a god out there he's a real asshole."
Wright gripped her face, covering the sides of her face like blinders. "YN control yourself. You know how to fight this. You know emotion is your enemy. You know that the X-FLSIH chemical in your blood increases as much as you produce and use it. You know how to survive. So fight and survive, just like you always have."

Wright unwrapped the wrist Johan had carefully set. "I know you didn't wrap this. It's too well done."
YN kicked him in the knee.
Wright winced but rewrapped it. "The sprain isn't bad, so it may be unnecessary to come again. It should completely heal if you avoid using it for a month or so."
"We both know that's not going to happen."
"I missed you, gremlin."
"I love you, doctor."