18. Cystal Clear Conundrums

(split the prev chapter in three)

Work was okay. But her body continued to ache from the first bit of fighting that she had done in a while. It was a bizarre experience, she had never had an issue with warming up before. The X-FLSIH was clearly changing something.

And one guy kept hanging around in the corner and wouldn't even order anything. Eventually the manager told her to confront him.

"Heyy, I just wanted to let you know that this space is for customers only." YN smiled sweetly, and curled a lock of hair around her finger to add to the innocent girl facade.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"--I'm sorry what?"

The boy stood and took her hands. His brow furrowed in a concerned way. "Are you okay? You seem different today."

YN had never spoken to this boy in her life and gingerly took back her hands. "This space is for customers only."

"I buy something everyday." The boy kept his eyes trained on her hands. She awkwardly twisted her fingers, and glanced at Jace at the counter for help. He shrugged, but he too looked concerned.

"Um.. I guess it's fine then." She had never been this awkward before. No one normal had ever randomly come and tried to hold her hands.

"I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable haha." THe boy sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck. "I just see you so often I feel like I've basically known you my entire life." He extended a hand for a handshake. "I'm Blake, nice to officially meet you."

YN uneasily shook it. "Nice to meet you. YN."

"Pretty name."

"Um yeah." SHe left.

Jace followed her behind the counter. "Do you know that kid?" he asked.

"Not the slightest. I've never spoken to him in my life." YN rewound memories for the past few weeks. "I mean, I took orders from him a few times. He seemed nice enough."

Jace glanced suspiciously out of the counter window. He was staring at his computer, appearing to be working. "I guess."

"You know what? I'll give him the benefit of doubt. Maybe he's just awkward."

"How can you be that awkward?"

YN raised her hands, exasperated. "I don't know Jace, this has never happened to me."

Really? No one's asked for your number, ever? Jace wondered. YN certainly had the looks for it, but he supposed if he saw her randomly on the street and was that type of person, he wouldn't have asked either. She would either simply blend into the crowd or give off an intimidating aura, neither of which people enjoyed. "Whatever, keep an eye on him."

***

At school YN saw Cyrstal struggling with a stack of papers.

"Let me help with tha-" she started, but then Crystal tripped. YN lunged and caught most of the papers, and Zack caught Crystal by hooking a foot around her. Daniel took the stack from YN.

"I'll take them." he said.

"Are you okay?" YN asked, picking up the fallen papers.

Crystal nodded at her while Zack and Daniel bickered. Daniel turned to Crystal.

"Did you make it home ok yesterday? Shall we go together today? We do live in the same area."

"Please don't be nice to me." Crystal interrupted. "I am thankful but, you being nice to me could make my life more difficult."