20. Two-Faced Crystal

POST FINALS CHAPTER 🥳🥳

She woke up the next morning to Eli shaking her violently.

"YN WE'RE LATE."

Groggily, YN rose and scratched the sleep from her eyes. She glanced at her phone, and reality crashed upon her, properly rousing her.

"FUCK." She jumped off the couch, almost tripping on the bare table in front of it. Eli covered Yenna's ears as YN swore some more as she dashed around the flat, finally pulling on a hoodie and jeans instead of her uniform. It was the first night she had slept late. She HAD returned from her encounter with Johan at 3 am in the morning, then spent the better half of the night puking blood into the toilet because of the emotional ordeal, but less sleep was usual. It was something more than that. She felt... tired today. Like she actually needed sleep. The last time YN had slept 8 hours was at least a year ago, on Big Deal street. Her body usually ran off adrenaline and X-FLSIH chemical. Bizarre. Did Johan have something to do with it? YN wondered as she and Eli took off through the streets, pausing only to drop Yenna off at daycare.

YN yawned then covered her mouth in surprise. She didn't remember the last time she did that. She certainly hadn't been this tired last night. In fact, she had been hyper-alert of everywhere Johan was touching her. YN felt her cheeks and found that they were flushed. She remembered Johan vividly. His hot breath on her neck, elegant hands tangled in her hair and supporting her back. Her legs curled in his lap, her arms hung around his neck. Her soft body pressed against his sharp lean one.

A warm feeling spread to her cold converse-covered toes.

Eli emerged from the daycare. "Let's go," he said, and the two continued running to school.

YN wasn't particularly worried about school, so was pleasantly unsurprised by the absence of a nosebleed from the physical activity. She was however surprised by Crystal's absence.

She was also surprised at how exhausted she felt. The moment she sat, she almost immediately dropped her head in her arms and drowsed off.

A tap on her head awoke her.

"Huh, YN, you're not wearing a uniform." Jace pointed out. YN blinked wearily at him. Her eyes wandered the classroom and she found that there were many on her.

"Oh yeah, I wanted to go with something more comfortable." It was the best perk of being in the Fashion Department. No dress code. Jace knelt next to her desk to speak to her at eye level.

"You look good. Makes you stand out." Jace's eyes flickered to her wrists and she knew thats not what he had planned to say. YN fiddled anxiously with the bandages.

"I don't want to stand out. It was an accident."

"It's a change, and it's a fine change. Just be prepared for guy's to ask for your number." She doesn't blend into the crowd anymore. It suits her. She was never meant to blend in. She was meant to be one of a kind. Jace's thoughts, although he didn't know it, were very true.

"YN?!" someone squeaked. "I thought you were a transfer student, smartass." YN grinned. Zack with his new endearing nickname.

"And I thought you were a hobo, jackass."

Zack flushed an angry red. He mumbled something angrily and sat down.

The rest of the day was pretty boring. Her new tiredness didn't wear off for a few days. But her heart did leap and there was a rush of adrenaline when her phone buzzed with texts from Johan.

For a week, the absence of her uniform was indeed noticed, mostly by guys. YN supposed the uniform had been her disguise, and supposed she should probably go back to wearing it soon. But she and Wright had worked hard on a new black hoodie, plain, strong, comfortable, and she never wanted to stop wearing it.