•we do some iming•

The next day, we arrived in Denver. I had finally dried, but I still smelled of river, and other random stuff.

"Let's try to contact Chiron." Annabeth said. "I want to tell him about your talk with the river spirit."

"But we can't use phones, right?"

"I'm not talking about phones."

We wandering through downtown for a bit, and I knew exactly what to look for.

Somewhere private with water, so we did just that.

We found an empty do-it-yourself car wash, and went to the one farthest from the street.

"What exactly are we doing?" Percy asked.

"It's seventy-five cents," Grover grumbled. "I've only got two quarters left. Annabeth? Coriane?"

"Don't look at us," I shrugged. "The dining car wiped us out."

Percy found a quarter in his pocket and handed it to Grover, who started the pump. "Excellent. We could do it with a spray bottle, of course, but the connection isn't as good, and my arm gets tired of pumping."

"What are you talking about?"

"I-M'ing."

"Instant messaging?"

"Iris messaging." I corrected.

"The rainbow goddess Iris carries messages for the gods." Annabeth explained. "If you know how to ask, and she's not too busy, she'll do the same for half-bloods."

"You summon the goddess with a spray gun?"

Grover pointed the nozzle in the air, and the water came out in a mist. "Unless you know an easier way to make a rainbow."

Shortly after, the vapor broke out into different colors.

I held my hand out. "Drachma, please." Percy gave me one. "Thank you."

I held the coin over my head. "O goddess, accept our offering."

I threw the drachma into the rainbow, and it disappeared.

"Half-Blood Hill." Annabeth requested.

Suddenly, the mist turned into camp, and before us was Luke.

"Luke!" Percy called.

He turned, eyes wide. "Percy!" He grinned. "Is that Annabeth and Coriane? Thank the gods! Are you guys okay?"

"We're... uh... fine." Annabeth stammered. "We thought— Chiron— I mean—"

"He's at the cabins." Luke's smile faded. "We're having some issues with the campers. Listen, is everything cool with you? Is Grover all right?"

"I'm right here." Grover called. He moved in the screen. "What kind of issues?"

Suddenly a car pulled into the car wash with its stereo turned up all the way.

"Chiron had to— what's that noise?"

"I'll take care of it! Grover, come on!" Annabeth yelled, leaving me and Percy with Luke.

I now held the nozzle, in place of Grover.

"Chiron had to break up a fight," Luke yelled over the music. "Things are pretty tense here, Percy. Word leaked out about the Zeus-Poseidon standoff. We're still not sure how— probably the same scumbag who summoned the hellhound. Now the campers are starting to take side. It's shaping up like the Trojan War all over again. Aphrodite, Ares and Apollo are backing Poseidon, more or less. Athena is backing Zeus."

"The one time I'll ever agree with the Ares cabin!" I shouted, causing Luke to break out that grin I loved, and butterflies went in my stomach.

"So what's your status? Chiron will be sorry he missed you."

Percy told him everything.

"I wish I could be there. We can't help much from here, I'm afraid, but listen... it had to be Hades who took the master bolt. He was there at Olympus at the winter solstice. I was chaperoning on a field trip and we saw him."

"But Chiron said the gods can't take each other's magic items directly."

"That's true. Still... hades has the helm of darkness. How could anybody else sneak into the throne room and steal the master bolt? You'd have to be invisible."

I can't believe he just said that.

"Oh, hey, I didn't mean Annabeth. She and I have known each other forever. She would never... I mean, she's like a little sister to me."

Wow. Annabeth wouldn't like hearing that.

Suddenly, the music stopped and a man screamed, causing the car to speed off.

"You better go see what that was. Listen, are you wearing the flying shoes? I'll feel better if I know they've done you some good."

"Oh... uh, yeah!" Percy lied. "Yeah, they've come in handy."

"Really?" Luke grinned again. "They fit and everything?"

"Well, take care of yourself out there in Denver. And tell Grover it'll be better this time! Nobody will get turned into a pine tree if he just—"

Did he really?

He did not just say that.

What was up with him?

Why would he say that?

He knew I was right there, he knew how much that would affect me.

No, he didn't try to hurt you. Luke wouldn't do that.

It was an accident.

Annabeth and Grover came back.

"What did Luke say?"

"Not much," Percy lied. "Come on, let's find some dinner."