•the mountain•

Grover and Bessie left through the sea to camp to warn the others of what was happening, although I had barley known Bessie, I was slightly sad to see him go.

Grover groaned about how I "treated him like a mama goat" as I made sure he had everything he'd need, no matter how short the journey.

"We could definitely use a car." Thalia groaned. "No way are we making it up that mountain."

I racked my brain as I tried to think of a solution, and I knew just the person. "I know where we can get a car."

"Where?" Percy asked.

I grabbed a piece of paper from my bag that Annabeth had given me. "Professor Chase, Annabeth's dad."

•.•.•.•

Thalia knocked on the door. "Hello!"

Annabeth's dad was a kind man, contrary to how Annabeth would describe him. He opened the door with aviator goggles and hat on, smiling at us. "Hello! Are you here with my airplanes?"

I moved so I was by Thalia. "Hi Mr. Chase."

"Oh, Coriane! What a pleasant surprise!" His smile faded to a look of worry. "Is Annabeth alright? Surely she'd be with you if everything was?"

Our absence of an answer was enough. "Please, come in."

We wandered after him, smelling chocolate chip cookies and heading the chaos of two boys playing.

Annabeth's stepmom came out from the kitchen. "Oh, Coriane! What brings you here, who are your friends?"

My friends, as Mrs. Chase said, introduced themselves, and she gave me a look at the mention of Percy, which had me turning red, even though I didn't know why.

Annabeth's dad led us to his study and we explained everything. It seemed like he'd aged a hundred years in the time we explained exactly what had happened to his daughter. I felt horrible.

"My poor brave Annabeth. We must hurry."

"Sir," Zoë said. "We need transportation to Mount Tamalpais."

"I'll drive you. It would be faster to fly, but my Camel only seats two."

Zoë shook her head. "We need a car, and it's best if you don't go. This isn't a place for mortals. I can drive, I'm not as young as I look."

"Snacks!" Mrs. Chase said as she came in, then looked at us. "What's this about?"

"Annabeth is in danger," Mr. Chase explained. "On Mount Tam. I would drive them but apparently it's not for mortals."

Mrs. Chase looked at us, her lips pressed into a thin line. "Well, they'd better get going."

We scrambled downstairs to get the car keys, and I gave Annabeth's stepmom a smile. "Thank you, so, so much."

She nodded. "Of course."

We ran out the door and to the bright yellow car parked in the drive, Zoë and Thalia in the front, Percy and I in the back. I bounced my leg as we rushed through traffic and towards Mount Tamalpais, dark clouds looming above.

Suddenly, a bolt of lightening struck the car, causing us to leap out as it exploded.

Thalia glared at the sky. "He'd kill me? Me!"

"That couldn't have been your father," Percy said.

"Zoë did mention Kronos," I shrugged.

"Wait," Thalia frowned. "Where's Zoë?"

We ran to find her, seeing her crouched down. "Hush! Do you wish to wake Ladon?"

"We're here?" Percy asked.

We followed her through the thick fog, a mix of normal mist and the magical mist, making this way more difficult than it should've been.

The garden was beautiful, apart from the dragon wrapped around a tree. The tree that held the apples of immortality, Hera's gift from Zeus."

Four figures appeared, singing beautifully. They had skin as rich as caramel, black hair that was like silk, just like Zoë. Just like the Hesperides.

"Sisters," Zoë nodded.

"We don't see any sister," one of them said with a cool tone. "We see three half-bloods and a Hunter, all who shall die."

"Nobody is going to die." Percy snapped.

The girls grinned.

"Perseus Jackson."

"Yes, I do not see why he is a threat. They fear thee, they are unhappy this one has not yet killed thee."

"Tempting," Thalia said. "But he's my friend, no thanks."

"There are no friends. Only enemies, go back."

"Not without Annabeth." I said.

They shook their heads. "Leave now, or we will wake Ladon."

"He won't hurt me," Zoë said.

"No? And what about thy friends?"

Zoë did the last thing I'd expect her to do. "Ladon! Wake!"

Zoë ushered us to the sides as we ran around the dragon. It would only protect the tree, we just needed to leave the garden.

Zoë got snapped at, but we made it and I was horrified.

At the top of the mountain were ruins, black granite and marble slabs and columns, bronze statues, it was all there.

"This is bad." I said, voice shaky. "Really bad."

Percy frowned. "What?"

"It's Mount Othrys." Zoë said. "Where Atlas holds the sky." Then her voice broke and she looked in despair. "Where he used to hold the sky."

A few yards ahead was the goddess Artemis, sky hunched on her shoulders. Zoë ran forwards and a voice boomed behind. "Ah, how touching."

We turned. The General was here, Luke at his side, with Annabeth tied and gagged, sword held to her throat. I wanted to sprint towards her but Percy held me back. We couldn't fight, not yet.

"Do not challenge him!" Artemis shouted, voice strained.

"You're Atlas." Percy said.

"Yes, I'm Atlas." The Titan said. "I will kill you presently as soon as I deal with this wretched girl."

"You're not going to hurt her."

"You have no right interfere, little hero. This is a family matter."

Percy blinked. "A family matter?"

Zoë hung her head. "Yes, Atlas is my father."