。14 。

-"Don't trust anyone

-
"Don't trust anyone."
-

Pulling up at their apartment building, Nova and Steve got off their motorbikes, Nova taking off her helmet and carrying it under her arm. The two walked up the steps, chatting between themselves about what to have for dinner.

As they arrived at the top, they saw Kate on the phone, a tub of washing under her arm in a basket. Steve stared at her for a moment and Nova gave him a nudge to speak to her. Steve nudged the woman back who returned it and they started to slap each other's hand like five year olds as they walked to their apartment door.

"My aunt, she's kind of an insomniac." Kate smiled and Nova batted Steve's hand away one last time before she realised she forgot her key which meant having to deal with their terrible flirting. "Yeah."

"Hey, if you want...If you want, you're welcome to use my machine. Might be cheaper than the one in the basement." Steve flirted and Nova raised an eyebrow behind his back, leaning against the door smugly.

"Oh, yeah? What's it cost?" Kate flirted back, her eyes never leaving his.

"A cup of coffee?" Steve questioned and Nova did a little self-five, hoping the blonde would finally get some, though Kate was always seemed a little off to the woman.

"Thank you, but I already have a load in downstairs, and you really don't want my scrubs in your machine. I just finished a rotation in the infectious disease ward, so..." Kate trailed off and Nova sighed to herself, rolling her eyes. The two would want to date and then wouldn't.

"Like fuckin' Ross and Rachel, I swear." Nova mumbled and Steve ignored her.

"Well, I'll keep my distance." Steve held up his hands, jokingly.

"Hopefully not too far." Kate smiled and Nova rolled her eyes.

"Will they ever make up their minds?!" Venom yelled in Nova's head and she hummed in agreement.

"Oh, and I think you left your stereo on." Kate stated and Nova stood up straighter, Steve turning to the woman.

"Oh. Right. Thank you." Steve nodded, slightly confused.

Nova and Steve looked at each other and then to the door, 40's music coming through on the record player. Nova's eyebrows furrowed. The music had only just started to play. Turning to Steve, she tapped his arm before leading him away.

The duo climbed up the fire escape, opening the window to their kitchen. Nova slid in silently and Steve followed, grabbing his shield as Nova grabbed her handgun that was laying next to some potatoes. The music paused before playing, louder this time.

Peeking around the corner, the two sighed in relief when they spotted Fury on their settee. Nova shoved her gun into her back jean pocket, leaning against the wall and crossing her arms.

"I don't remember giving you a key." Nova hummed, an eyebrow raising.

"Neither." Steve murmured in agreement and Nick grunted, sitting up.

"You really think I'd need one?" Nick asked and Nova smirked in agreement. "My wife kicked me out."

"I didn't know you were married." Steve stated, still peeking around the corner.

"A lot of things you don't know about me." Nick nodded his head.

"I know, Nick. That's the problem." Steve sighed.

Nova moved to turn the light on, confusion taking over her features when she saw Fury's face battered and bruised. Steve pushed himself off the wall, joining the former assassins side. Nick turned the lamp back off, flicking on his phone.

'EARS EVERYWHERE' Nick had typed out and Nova stiffened, taking out her gun again but put it away when Nick shook his head.

"I'm sorry I have to do this, but I had no place else to crash." Nick lied, turning his phone to the friends again.

'SHIELD COMPROMISED' was what he had typed next.

"Who else knows about your wife?" Nova asked, playing along and Steve quickly got the message.

Nick turned the phone again. 'YOU TWO AND ME'

"Just...My friends." Nick panted out a breath.

"Is that what we are?" Steve quizzed.

"That's up to you." Nick replied.

The director yelled out as three shots were fired through the wall, every one of them hitting him. Dust flew around the apartment from the brick and Steve and Nova sprung into action.

Nova grabbed Fury's hand, pulling him into the next room and Steve followed. Looking out of the window, Steve spotted the murderer running away as they pulled their injured boss out of sight.

Nova went to go for the killer but Nick grabbed her wrist. Looking down at the man, he held out a USB stick to the woman who took his from his open palm with confusion.

"Don't trust anyone." Nick coughed as the door banged open.

"Captain Rogers? Miss Black?" Kate's voice rang through the apartment and the two Avengers turned to the voice in puzzlement.

"Captain, Black, I'm Agent 13 of S.H.I.E.L.D. Special Service." Kate stated, gun in hand as she made her way over to the three.

"Kate?" Steve asked in shock.

"I'm assigned to protect you." Kate breathed.

"On whose order?" Steve demanded, stepping forward.

"His." Kate nodded to Fury's body, bending down next to him, checking his pulse before pulling out a walkie talkie. "Foxtrot is down, he's unresponsive. I need EMTs."

"Do we have a 20 on the shooter?" The dispatcher quizzed, voice static through the device.

"Tell 'im, we're in pursuit." Nova stated, running at the window.

Steve followed as Venom took over her body, crashing out of the window. The blonde used his shield to land through the opposite building where Venom had already landed, running through it.

Steve and Venom ran through the building, crashing through doors as the killer was visible through the windows. Finally, after a lot of smashed glass and wood, they landed on the opposite roof, the killer having landed just before them.

Steve grunted, throwing his shield as Venom stopped next to him. The killer caught the shield with a metal arm as Nova took over half of Venom's face, her eyes widening at her old friend.

The killer turned, looking both of them in the eye before launching the shield back at Steve. Nova was frozen in place, Venom shrinking back into her body as she gazed at where the man had ran off. Steve panted at the force from the shield, before looking at Nova.

"Who was that?" Steve quizzed and Nova didn't reply.

{1085}