Chapter 24

"DEATH... RUCK... It's not... Today is not my birthday..."

Ruckus lost his smile when he heard what she just said.

Not her birthday?

But...

Gumalaw ang panga niya at pinigilan na hawakan ng mariin ang palumpon ng bulaklak na nasa kamay niya.

Yeah... He should have expected that the data they have about her are fabricated. Even if she shared the same birth date with what Sunrise have in her birth certificate it does not mean today is really their birthday.

How stupid...

But whatever.

"It doesn't matter if today is not really your birthday, ma chérie."

Nagtaas ito ng tingin at nakita niya ang lungkot sa ng mga mata nito na ikinabuntong-hininga niya.

Ruckus reached for her hand and pulled her to his body to embrace her. Make her feel it's okay, to assure her that it's fine.

"We'll celebrate it even if it's not today. It's okay, I can see you feel bad about it but don't. What's important is we've got to celebrate your birthday— together."

Hindi man ang araw na ito ang kaarawan nito ang importante ay mararanasan nila ni Death na kasama ito sa isang birthday party na inihanda nila para dito.

"That's right, Mom," Death spoke. "This will be your first birthday with us. The next we'll celebrate it on a real date. How about that?"

Tumingin si Sunset kay Death habang yakap niya parin ito.

"We can't," she whispered.

"Why not?" Ruckus asked, frowning.

Don't she tell them, she still plans to leave after her six months deal as a maid. Damn it! Can't she see, she has her home already—

"Because I don't really know when I was born..."

Umawang ang labi ni Ruckus sa narinig at natigil siya pag-iisip. Is that even possible- well... Of course, it is.

"We're the same then, mom." Death said, smiling. "I also don't know when I was born or if Death is really my name but dad still gave me gifts and celebrate it on my birthday that's in my birth certificate. So it's no different with you."

Napangiti si Ruckus. "Yeah right. So, come on, ma chérie." Inabot niya sa dalaga ang hawak na palumpon ng bulaklak. "Happy birthday..." I love you, ma chérie, Ruckus added mentally, hoping someday he could say it aloud and get the same response.

"Thanks, Ruck..." Sunset looked at him with her eyes full of gratitude. Then she reached for his forehead to caress it down to the top of his nose using her forefinger, making him feel delighted, his heart drumming loudly inside his chest. He just loves it very much when she does it to him.

"Make a wish mom and blow your candles before the wind blows it for you," ani Death.

Binitawan ni Ruckus ang bewang nito at hinayaan itong ihipan ang kandila sa cake na hawak ni Death.

"A wish..." Sinulyapan siya nito bago nito ibinalik ang tingin kay Death. "I wish the two of you will always be safe and happy."

Kumunot ang noo ni Ruckus sa hiling nito. "Don't you have wish for yourself?"

Ilang sandali itong hindi umimik habang nakatitig sa cake. "I wish I don't..." She sighed. "I don't end up hurting the two of you," she added before blowing the candle and smiling lightly.

Ruckus reached for her hand to give it a squeeze. "Stay with us and you'll never hurt us. Right Death?" He asked, glancing at Death.

"Yup, your presence is what we want mom. You don't need to be perfect, just be with us and that's enough." Death agreed, nodding with a happy smile on his face before turning around to put back the cake on the long table full of food.