Chapter-29:Better off without me

*Rachel's POV*-

I wrapped my arms around myself as the wind started whipping at me.Though it was cold, I was determined to find him.I'd been following his scent for 15 minutes,but I hadn't found him yet.

Daniel ran from the pack house to the the forest upon seeing the faces of his pack members in terror.But there was a little doubt in me that he ran away from me,his mate.

Soon after the whole ordeal,Cathy was seized by Max and taken away from the ground while all the pack members were scattered from their places.Before shifting to my human self and following after Daniel, I heard carol make a loud gasp which made me turn to her in worry.

Upon turning,I saw Steph standing in front of her while carol was looking at him in shock as a single tear rolled down her cheek.I was confused but soon that confusion vanished when I heard them both utter the same word at the same time- 'mate'. Carol's eyes lit up like I had never seen before and I was in awe at the sight of them completely lost in one another,they have always liked each other even before they knew they were mates and I knew that they were perfect for each other.

The feeling of awe was slowly getting replaced by panic and terror in me with an underlying happiness and I knew that these weren't my feelings but were of Daniel which made me continue my sweet little quest of finding him.

I was now deep in the forest.Weaving through the tall trees I debated with myself on shifting into my wolf form but soon gave up on the idea because I didn't have any spare clothes.

As I continued to amble through the forest,I kept my eyes scanning the surroundings as I sniffed the air.The changing directions of the wind were making it harder for me to locate him.I quickened my Steps and half of me was wondering if this was even a good idea.

To tell the truth,I don't understand any of this...how can this man be my so called soulmate when I can literally count on my fingers the total times we have talked.And why do I realise him to be my mate now? I don't know if he would accept me or not but atleast I'll try and even then if he is adamant then I'll not hurt him further,I will take his rejection.

Shaking my head, I changed the train of my thoughts to the pack.

The pack was in shambles back at the training ground and why wouldn't they be? Their soon to be alpha king whom they had always trusted to lead them,secretly could harness fire.The members who before today feared him were now terrorized upon seeing his ability. And him running away like this will do nothing but create division in all the packs,it might even tear this pack.They needed to know that he can be trusted to lead them.

It was almost half an hour now but he was nowhere to be found.The last place that was remaining was the lake. I made it a few steps before reaching the clearing.I wandered forward and surely his scent was strong here.

I sniffed the air and there it was again, the intoxicating smell of Vanilla bourbon and oakwood smothering me, making my heart skip a beat as I heard leaves crunching behind me.I wondered what I smelt like.Hopefully not covered with smell of sweat after the match.

Turning around to the sound,I instantly stumbled back,my eyes wide.I thought he would be here in his human self and not in his wolf form.But there he was watching my every move as if I was a prey completely at his mercy.After a few moments of careful scrutinizing he walked behind a tree and sounds of bones breaking echoed throughout the silent clearing.I instantly turned around trying to give him his privacy as I waited for him to put his clothes on.That's when the thought came to my mind.Did he even have clothes with him?

"You have clothes with you,right?" I asked.

"Of course I do.I always keep spare clothes here." he replied.His tone was a bit strained as if he was frustrated.