36. The Same Page

April 3, 5:46 pm
Wilbur POV.

I sat alone in my room staring at the picture of Techno and I. We were brothers once, or thought of each other as such. Now we're just strangers, people who don't even trust each other anymore.

I know what I said about him was wrong, and I don't really hate him, I just hate what he's made of dad. Dad used to care for all of us, at least Techno and I he was always pretty distant from Tommy. But now his favoritism has shown through so many times and I've become resentful.

I couldn't even get myself to go to the semi finals game today. God knows I'm going to get yelled at about it when they all get home, Tommy will probably just hide in his room until the yelling stops and Techno will probably sit there and think it's all his fault.

Mum moved out yesterday, now she's probably in her new state being happy. Tommy hasn't said a word since she walked out the door and Techno just avoids eye contact with us. Dad hasn't even mentioned her at all either.

Apparently Dreams mom is dead too. He told me over the phone about a week ago. I feel bad for him, he was always really close with his mother and she was a really wonderful person too from what I remember. No deserved to lose someone they care about. He said that he's grown closer with his father slowly mending their relationship, unlike me with mine.

I heard the sound of a car come and stop. I moved off my place on the floor and went to the window, dad was home. Fucking hell. I walked away from the window before dad could even see me and went and hid in my bed. I used to do this when I didn't want to go to school when I was younger, now I use it as an excuse to get away from an argument . Well look at how far I've come as a human being.

The sound of keys unlocking the door and the door itself opening rung through your the house. "Wilbur." Dads voice called. "Can we talk, please?" But I didn't respond. Soon I heard creaking steps from the stairs as he got closer.

He opened my door and said, "c'mon Wilbur your not five anymore your eighteen for fucks sake. I just want to talk." "No." "Look Wil, I'm not interested in fighting with you. Please just talk with me." "How'd the game go?" "We won but that's not the point, you missed it. You missed the game. If this is all because your mother left yesterday I'm sorry. If this is because of Techno I'm sorry. You can't keep avoiding your problems. Please just talk to me." He sounded more desperate with each word that came out of his mouth. 

"It's everything. I don't know. A combination of things. Mum left and she hasn't answered any of my calls, Nikis gone visiting family for the weekend so she hasn't been able to answer. Tommy hasn't spoken in the past twenty four hours of you haven't noticed and Techno probably doesn't even think of me as a brother anymore! And you, you fed into all of that. Mum would still be here if you loved each other. She would still be here if you worked through it. She would still be here making sure I felt loved, making sure that Tommy doesn't lock himself in a room crying because he thinks he isn't good enough for you. And Techno and I would still be close if you didn't raise him into a fucking pedestal and call him the standard!" I yelled at him. Dad didn't deserve to be yelled at, I was just too caught up in my own emotions to think of anything else.

"Look if I could've kept your mother around I would. But we tried Wil, for so many years. The only reason we lasted so long was because of you. We thought we could hold out until you were all in high school, old enough to take care of yourselves. Apparently we were wrong. And I am so sorry that we couldn't stay together longer." He sounded so guilty, as if he were about to break down if he said anymore.

"As for Tommy, I'm sorry. He didn't deserve to be treated the way I treated him, and I'm going to try, Hell, I've been trying. But he's just so scared. All I have to do is look at him and he leaves the room backing up in horror. I really wish that I could take everything back. I know how I treat the two of you is wrong and I can finally acknowledge that now. I just with I had realized it sooner cause this might have not happened." He was crying now. He regret everything, but I'm not the person he should be telling this to. Tommy should be here as well.

"And with Techno I was just trying to give him a better life. He was so hurt and broken when I, We, took him in. I thought if I treated him slightly better he wouldn't have to think about his past horrors and just think about the present. And I know that it was wrong but it didn't seem like it in the moment and if I could take it all back I would. I'm sorry I made it feel like he was the standard, I was just trying to make him forget. And I'm sorry I made you forget too." 

He slowly slid down the doorframe and onto the floor as he cried. I hadn't seen him cry like this ever. So fragile and vulnerable, filled with regret. I slowly moved out of my bed and walked over to him, sitting to his right so I was still in my room. And I did something me from six months ago would sit me on the spot for. I forgave him.

"I understand where you're coming from. But when Tommy gets home you should probably talk to him about this as well. I'm sorry for missing the game too. And I'm sorry for everything I've said too. I had no right to do so." I said as I hugged my father.

"But you did have the right, you were mad and speaking the truth. And I thank you for that." And for once, the first time in years I was finally getting to the same page my father was on.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Word count: 1106

Two more chapters until the end.