Chapter Twenty Seven

Valerie’s POV

I had to do this. I left him hanging and now I had to fix this. I owe David an explanation. I wanted to end whatever we had as soon as possible. Nagpunta kami sa isang restaurant para makapag-usap ng maayos.

He sat across me and smiled at me. I felt my throat dry in anxiety. My hand reached for the glass of water in front of me and I took a sip from it.

“How have you been?” He asked.

“Fine.” I answered, putting the glass down.

He nodded his head. “Ngayon lang ako nagkaroon ng pagkakataon makasunod sa’yo dito. I’ve been wanting to see you but dad needed me there.”

“Naiintindihan ko.” I forced a smile.

“Valerie, why did you leave the hacienda?”

I took a deep breath before answering. “I followed my heart.”

“What do you mean?”

“I followed the man I love.”

“I… I thought we had something special.”

“That’s what I thought too. I wanted  to love you but my heart is not with you.”

“It it Axel?” His voice took a darker tone and so did his face.

“Yes.” I croacked out. “I love him.”

“He isn’t the right man for you. I am. We’ve known each other since we were little. Hindi ba ipinangako ko sa’yo noon na babalik ako para sa’yo? We’re meant for each other.”

“David, bata pa tayo noon. Things have changed.”

“But Val…” His hand slid to mine that was resting on the table. Agad kong binawi ang kamay ko mula sa pagkakahawak niya.

“I’m sorry, David. I’m so sorry.” I said and got up from my seat. I loved David but it was nothing like the love I had for Axel. I had only seen the best of David. I fell in love with the idea of him, the illusion of him. I had seen the worst of Axel, every imperfection he had, every flaw, every quirk, and I loved him even more. I could feel the love I had for him in my bones and not just in my head.

 I hurridly walked out of the restaurant. It didn’t take long for him to follow after me. “Valerie!” He grabbed me by the arm and spun me around. “I love you, Valerie. What do I need to do to make you love me again?”

“There’s nothing you need to do. I only fell in love with what I made you out to be. I only fell in love with the idea of you.”

“Then I’d be the best damn idea you’ve ever had!” He pulled me to him and before I could even react, he crashed his lips to mine.

“Mm!”  My hands clenched to his chest as I tried to push him away from me.

“You fucking whore!” My whole body froze when I heard his dark and deep voice. David’s lips finally separated to mine as he tried to catch his breath. I looked at Axel, his eyes burning with hatred, anger and disgust.

“Axel…” I said in a low voice. I took a step towards him and he took a step back. He walked away and I tried to catch up to him. Sumakay siya sa kotse at bago pa ako makahabol, nasara niya na ang pinto. I banged on the car window and begged him to talk to me but he ignored me. He started his car and I couldn’t do anything but watch him as his car sped off. Hot tears began stinging my eyes.