Chapter Forty

Axel's POV

Jaime was looking at me with eyes like steel. Cold and hard. He was very different from his warm and welcoming demeanor, the one I was used to seeing. I couldn't blame him though. I had hurt his daughter, his princess. We were in his study. I was sitting on the single armchair sofa in front of his desk. The fact that he had let me in their home again, I take that as a good sign.

He cleared his throat. "You're willing to do anything for my daughter, huh?"

"God knows there's nothing I won't be willing to do for her, Jaime." I said.

"I want my daughter back as much as you want her back." He looked at me with a serious gaze. "She hasn't been the same since she came back here. She used to be a vibrant woman, going out and doing things. Her smile and laugh was amazing."

 I nodded my head in agreement. It was to die for.

"Now it's as if she's lost her spirit. She smiles and laughs but it isn't the same anymore. I know she's only doing it for me. Alam niyang ayaw kong nakikita siyang malungkot." His face fell and my I could feel my heart in my throat. I did it to her. It was my fault that she was hurting.

"I'm sorry." My voice cracked.

"Your sorry doesn't anything to me. It's what you do about it." He said in a stoic voice. "You know, I didn't start out rich. I had to work way up to where I am now. This whole hacienda, it was just a small land back then. Wala kaming trabahador noon, kami ang gumagawa ng lahat ng gawain dito. I worked from dawn to dusk with my father. Your a man born of privilege and wealth. I doubt you've done labor work."

"I haven't." I honestly said.

He gave me a slow nod and he rubbed his chin. "I want my daughter happy again at kung ikaw ang magpapasaya sa kanya, then be it. But that doesn't mean I would let you off the hook easily. Are you willing to work for me?"

A smile of relief and joy found its way on my lips. "I... I'm more than willing to. Kahit anong sabihin mo gagawin ko para kay Val."

I agreed to work at Jaime's hacienda. This turned out far better than I expected. Gagawin ko ang lahat bumalik lang sa akin si Valerie. Kaya kong gawin ang lahat, higit pa dito. Jaime took me to where I would be staying at. It was an old, run down tool shed near where the horses were. It didn't have any light or electricty. It had enough room for just a bed and a little space to walk. May lumang kama na gawa sa kawayan na nakaimbak doon, iyon ang magiging kama ko. It was old, it didn't have a matress and it had holes and it looked like it was ready to collapse any minute.

It was already late and Jaime left me alone. Humiga na ako sa bagong kama ko. It wasn't the kind of bed I was used to. It took me awhile to find a comfortable position. It made some parts of me sore. There were bugs climbing over me, flies biting me but I had never felt this happy. This was better than going home in an empty house with Valerie. All these didn't matter to me, all I cared about was Valerie. Now she was just within my reach. Kung ito ang paraan para mapatawad niya ako at ng pamilya niya, gagawin ko.

I had never slept better since Valerie left until tonight.

Valerie's POV

I had been doing the same routine everyday. Wakeup, eat, sleep and in between those, I try to distract myself. I tried not to think about him, I tried my hardest not to let my mind wander to the times we spent together, times I was in his arms. I tried to ignore what I was feeling but it was hard when it hurts so much.  All I could do was momentarily distract myself from the pain I feel. It wasn't so bad once you get used to it. You go on with your life and you learn to live with it.