Chapter Thirty One

Axel’s POV

I hated the fact that Valerie thinks that I was ashamed of her. That was not true. Hell, she had no idea how much I wanted to show her off to the world. I wanted to make every man who looks her way jealous because they’ll know she’s mine and they can’t have her. She’s the one who should be ashamed of me for being a fucking coward. I really hated myself for that.

She never questioned me again after what happened. But despite that, I still felt bothered. I didn’t want her to ever think that I was ashamed of her or that I wasn’t serious with her. I wanted to prove to her that that wasn’t the case. Kaya naisipan kong dalhin siya sa dalawang importanteng tao sa buhay ko. I didn’t want her to feel like I was keeping her a secret. I just wished she knew our situation was hurting me as much as it was hurting her.

Valerie’s POV

The uniformed security guard opened the tall and elegant gate for us and Axel drove in. We drove by the huge marble fountain in the circular driveway before he pulled up in front of the chateau styled mansion.

I turned my head and looked at Axel with a confused look on my face. He just gave me a smile. Before I could even ask what we were doing here, he got out of the car and ran to my side to open the door for me.  He then extended his hand for me and helped me out. I wrapped my arms around of his and we started walking in.

“Whose house is this?” I asked, letting my eyes wander around. The inside of the house was no less impressive than the outside. Everything looked elegant and sophisticated.

“Axel, honey.” Said a sweet and gentle voice. My head turned to the voice and I saw a beautiful and slender woman walking towards us. She had a clear face, the few lines and wrinkles on it spoke of her age. She looked middle age but someone who had aged gracefully. Have I seen her somewhere.

She gave Axel a hug before turning her attention to me.  “And you must be Valerie. I’ve heard so much about you.” She said before giving me a warm hug and a cheek to cheek kiss.

“Val, I’d like you to meet my mother.” Pakilala ni Axel.

I suddenly tensed up at what I heard. That was why she looked familiar. Nakita ko na siya sa photo album noong nagpunta kami sa lake house nila. Oh my god! I suddenly didn’t know what to say or how to act. I was baffled for a few seconds.

“Good evening, Mrs. Lavigne.” I smiled when I finally had the chance to pull myself together. “Nice to meet you.”  

“Just call me tita Charlotte.” She said with a warm smile. “I’m so glad to finally meet you. You really are beautiful.”

“Thank you, tita Charlotte.” I shyly said.

“Siya nga pala, naghanda ako ng dinner para sa inyo. Shall we?” She said before heading towards the dining room and we followed behind her.

“Bakit hindi mo sinabi na dito pala tayo pupunta?” I whispered to him, giving him a soft slap on the arm. I was so unprepared for this. I was scared I would do or say something stupid and they would think I’m unworthy to be their future daughter-in-law.

“Relax. My family won’t bite.” He laughed.

“Do you think they’ll like me?” I softly asked.

“I’m sure they will and even if they don’t, I’d still love you.” He smiled, giving me a kiss on the side of my head.

“Tignan mo yang dad mo, gabing-gabi na ayaw pa rin magpaawat sa pag golf.” She stood in front of the wide and open door to their backyard. It was big and spacious but it didn’t have a lot of stuff in it. Other than the small patio at the corner, it was just grasses and golf course. Axel’s dad was standing in the middle of the backyard with a tiny, white ball on the ground in front of him and was getting ready to swing the golf club.