Chapter Forty Two

Axel's POV

I was getting used to my life at the hacienda. Unti-unti ng nasasanay ang katawan ko sa mabibigat na trabaho. I worked from sunrise to sunset regardless of any pain or exhaustion I felt. But looking on the bright side, all those work had earned me a nice tan and a more toned body.

Tatlong beses ko pa lang nakikita si Valerie sa buong linggong ito. I couldn't go near her even if I wanted to. Instead, I just watched her from a distance. She'd just throw me a quick glance everytime she sees me looking at her and quickly look away. It was agonizing to not be able to hold her, to speak with her, to be close to her yet so far.

She loved me with everything she had and now she couldn't even look at me. I knew all this was my fault. I knew I made a mistake. She gave me everything and all I did was break her heart. I had hurt the woman I love and it was I that had put myself in the position I was in. Pero handa akong tiisin ang kahit anong pagod o sakit para kay Valerie. Wala akong hindi gagawin para sa kanya. I knew there's a chance she still feels something for me and while I may need to earn back her trust, there was still hope.

I stretched out my tired arms and cracked my hurting back from carrying sacks of fruits and vegetables that would be delivered to the factory. Hindi pa ako pwedeng magpahinga dahil pakakainin ko pa ang mga kabayo at paliliguan ko pa. I headed towards the horse stables and found Valerie there.

I quietly watched as she stood next to her favorite horse and mine too, Mitsy. Valerie and I had some fun memories while riding that horse. She petted her horse's nose and it made a loud neighing sound.

"Valerie." I slowly walked towards her.

She turned to me. She looked caught off guard at first but her expression quickly changed to a hard one. "Trabahador ka dito. You have no right to call me by name. Senyorita, that's what you're going to call me from now on katulad ng mga trabahador dito."

I just nodded my head. This was kind of funny in a sad way. I remembered the time when she followed me to Manila and worked for our company. Sinabi ko sa kanya na tawagin niya akong Mr. Lavigne katulad ng mga empleyado ko. Now she was the boss and I was working for her. She was doing the same thing I did to her. It was ironic how our roles have reversed now.

Ganito pala kasakit iyon. I was hurting for her more than I was for myself. I put her through a lot of pain and I wish I could undo everything I did that had hurt her.

"May kailangan ka ba, senyorita?" I asked after too much of this silence had passed.

"All I need right now is for you to stay away from me." She said in a cold tone. 

I gave her another nod and turned around to head out the stable. I only took a few steps when I heard her call my name. I faced her.

"When are you going to get tired of this?" She asked.

"Never." I answered with a bittersweet smile. "Hindi ako mapapagod na ipakita sa'yo kung gaano kita kamahal. I know how badly I fucked up, I know how much I had hurt  you but I swear I'll prove to you how much I love you and how sorry I am. I'll make it up to you."

Her face softened a bit. I could see the internal battle in her mind reflecting through her eyes. And then she dropped her eyes to the ground, avoiding my gaze. She wasn't ready to fogive yet but I knew she would be.

Valerie's POV

I shook the reins for Mitsy to go faster. I didn't know exactly where I was going. I guess I just needed to get some fresh air and get everything he said off my mind. My heart wanted to believe but my mind couldn't. The love drunk side of me screamed for me to run and wrap my arms around him. But I was scared of being hurt again that I hurt him. Love does have limits and I think I've reached mine. You could only love someone and go through too much with that person. Sometimes it's just too way much that no matter how much you love someone it wouldn't be enough.