Chapter Forty Six

Axel's POVIt was eerily quiet that I could clearly hear the clock ticking and my heart beating to the clock's pace. Jaime lightly tapped his fingers on the table, on the bare wood,as he intently looked at me. I sat on the armchair in front of his desk, cowering like a guilty dog in front of him.

"Jai- senyor..." I said when I finally gathered enough courage to speak.

"I could have easily send you away noong nagmakaawa ka sa akin. But I gave you a chance, didn't I?" He said in a clear, solid voice.

"Y-yes, sir." I answered.

"Pumunta ka lang ba dito para i-kama ang anak ko?" His eyes narrowed at me.

"NO!" I immediately said, shaking my head. "Mahal na mahal ko si Valerie. Malinis ang intensyon ko sa anak niyo. What happened between us last night... just kind of happened." It felt awkward talking about it with her father but I didn't have a choice.

"What does that me? You just happened to stumble into her bedroom? I assume your clothes just happened to come off and you just tripped on her bed, is that right?" He sarcastically said in a harsh tone.

"No, sir." I bowed my head. "I... I'm sorry. It was never in my plan to, um... bed her. Nandito ako para patunayan ko sa inyo na mahal ko ang anak niyo. I swear to God and you that I will never hurt her again. Sana mapatawad mo ako sa ginawa ko noon. I should've told Valerie the truth but I was too much of a coward, I was scared of losing her. Please, give me another chance."

Valerie's POV

It was already thirty minutes after ten, that was what it said on the clock. I sat up, stretching my arms like a cat who woke up from a good nap. This had to be the best sleep I have had in a while since moving out of Axel's condominium. I remembered falling asleep in his arms last night but when I woke up, I was a little disappointed when he wasn't beside me anymore.

Siguro maagang nagising at umalis para walang makakita sa kanya. Pupuntahan ko na lang siya. I jumped out of bed and hurriedly took a shower in the bathroom. I excitedly went to the toolshed where he was staying but I couldn't find him there. I went to the sugarcane field to check if he was there but he wasn't there either. Tinanong ko din sa mga trabahador kung nakita nila si Axel pero wala daw nakakita sa kanya. Where could he possibly be?I disappointedly went back home when I looked every place he could possibly be but still couldn't find him.

I noticed something as I headed back to the house. The space where his silver Volkswagen car was used to be was now empty. My shoulders suddenly dropped and my heart sunk.Pumasok ako sa bahay at pabagsak na umupo sa couch. I felt like all my energy had drained away. He just left without saying anything to me? Akala ko okay na kami kagabi?

"Valerie." My head snapped up when I heard dad calling me. He stood in front of me with a serious face.

"Dad!" I was startled for a moment. I didn't even notice he was there."Is something wrong?" He asked.

"Nothing." I said, shaking my head.

"Have you seen Axel?"

"I saw him coming out of your room this morning." Tiim-bagang na sabi niya.I blinked a couple of times, thinking of what I was going to say.

"Dad..." I chewed on my bottom lip. I was loss for words.

"I'm a very conservative man, Valerie. I raised you in a very conservative way. " He said in an unnervingly rational tone. When he calls me by my name, you'd know he was dead mad. "I taught you what's right from wrong. Hinayaan kitang magdesisyon para sa sarili mo dahil akala ko alam mo na kung ano ang tama at mali. This is where I step in and draw the line."