1.06

FOR NINE MONTHS, EVERYBODY tried to get John B and Laura to believe their dad was dead. They would say they're in denial. Whatever. Denial's underrated. You should try it sometime. It's highly effective, and it's only denial if you're wrong. It doesn't make any sense. Their dad is the last guy to ever get lost at sea, they believed.

This compass coming back to them, their father's compass, which was passed down for generations, it's a sign. They believed their dad was still alive, and they were going to find him.

Currently, John B was on his way to the Cameron's to return their scuba gear since he 'borrowed' it yesterday, leaving Laura alone at home, sleeping due to the fact it was five a.m. She was laying on the pull out couch, probably passing out there the previous night.

A loud bang on the door woke up Laura, making her confused and startled. "DCS! I know you're in there!" She turned over, then saw JJ jump into view of the window, making her jump. He started laughing, before coming inside the house.

"I feel like every time I come over you're sleeping. Where's John B?" Laura yawned and sat up on the couch, looking at the boy sleepily.

"Went to drop off scuba gear I think. What time is it?" Laura asked, leaning back onto the couch.

"Nine a.m." JJ replied. She looked up at him confused. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"He went at like five to drop off the gear. Maybe he's in his room? I don't remember him coming home." Laura said. But just then, her brother walked out of the bathroom, dressed and ready for the upcoming day.

"Let's get going, LB."

Deciding they needed to gather more intel on their father's compass, the trio decided to drive over to Ms. Lana's house. Only because the antique artifact had been found in Scooter's boat.

On the drive over in the beaten down van, obviously JJ had to tease his good friend about their other friend, Kiara.

"I'm just saying, I don't understand why you don't at least try with Kiara. She clearly likes you." JJ starts, causing John B to look at him like he was crazy. "She's like 'Oh, John B.'"

"Is that what she does?" John B asks, cutting off the blonde sitting next to him in the passenger seat.

"She's sketching about you diving, and then she kissed you, bro." JJ continues on, completely disregarding the other's question. Laura tries to hide in her laughs due to the stupid conversation they're having.

"She kissed me on the cheek. It's not like we were making out, or something."

"Low-hanging fruit, bro. Don't pretend you don't notice. I see it in your eyes. You're like 'I kinda like that' and you start blushing." JJ says, emphasizing each word through talking with his hands.

"He's right, John B." Laura says, cutting in, laughing and leaning forward to join the conversation. JJ points towards her, since she just proved his point. "You do blush."

Then, JJ grabbed the compass off the dashboard of the van, causing John B to panic and reach for it, startling the girl in the back. "Hey, don't--"

"I was just looking at it." JJ started, holding it up in front of his face. "I gotta admit, your father's compass in Scooter's boat, that's freaky." He finished, continuing to look at it.

"Yeah. That's why we're going to talk to Ms. Lana, figure this whole thing out." John B said, switching his gaze between the road in front of him and JJ.

"I'm sure she would love to talk to us. It's not like her husband just drowned or anything." Laura said, reaching forward to take the compass from JJ.