1.12

LAURA DECIDED TO HELP JJ and Pope with groceries today, so she met up with them at Heyward's boat.

"You boys get these groceries over to Figure Eight. Get straight back here when you're done. No fishin'. I promised delivery this afternoon. And Laura, you don't have to help." He said, handing the girl some groceries to put onto the boat.

"Oh no sir, it's okay. I offered." Laura said, smiling at the older man.

Alright well, rich folks don't wanna wait for you lazy sons of... Oh, JJ, thank you... sons of bitches." Laura laughed at JJ who was now setting groceries down on the platform on the boat.

"Doesn't even look like a storm hit there." Said Pope, who was looking at the houses of Figure Eight.

"That's because they got generators, bro. Get used to it. And then they say the juice will be out all summer at the cut." JJ said, also looking out at the houses.

"It's nice to be a Kook." Laura chipped in.

"Thought you didn't want to be a Kook?" JJ responded, looking at her skeptically. All she did was shrug her shoulders, looking out over the water. "Lucky bastards."

Laura and JJ decided to deliver the groceries together, since they thought it was a bad idea to leave her alone in Figure Eight even though she was capable of taking care of herself. The two began walking back towards the boat, laughing and having a good time.

"Pope! Dude, you are not going to believe what just happened to me, man! Whoo! That was the best 100 bucks we've ever made!" JJ rambled on, dragging Laura behind him as he made his way onto the boat excitedly.

"When I say count us in on all the grocery deliveries man, I mean it." JJ sat down in a chair while Laura stood next to him, leaning against the wall.

"What's up with you? Bro, you good?" JJ turned to look at Pope's face. "Yo, what happened to your face, dude?" He lifted the hat to reveal a deep bloody cut on his forehead. Laura gasped, leaning forward to look.

"What the hell happened, Pope?" Laura asked, lots of concern lacing through her voice.

"Rafe and Topper jumped me." He responded quietly, looking out at the water not wanting to make eye contact with either of the two. Laura slammed her hand down with frustration.

"They said no Pogue's on their side of the island." He continued.

"What are you gonna do?" JJ asked him. Pope looked at the blonde slowly, looking like he had an idea in mind.

Pope continued to drive the boat with the same look on his face. Laura had no idea what he had planned but she didn't think she would like it. Eventually they made it to the docks, and there revealed Topper's boat.

"2020 Malibu, 24-MXC. The world's finest wakesetter. Number one in quality, luxury, and performance." Laura looked at the two boys skeptical, not wanting to be a part of this.

"This is war, Pope. They hit us, we hit them." JJ said, still looking at the boat. He put on a mask and glasses as Pope took off his shirt.

"This is so stupid." Laura murmured under her breath. Pope dived into the water, and Laura laughed at him because of how he did it. "JJ don't make it obvious you're watching him."

JJ didn't listen, but instead took the latter and set it up for him for when he got back. Laura sat down, glancing over every few seconds to see what Pope was doing. He climbed into the boat, and then she stopped watching.

Eventually he swam back and got into the boat. "Wow, you did it. I'm so proud of you right now. Holy crap." Said JJ

"Holy shit." Laura said, trying to contain her laughter. "That was honestly better than what I thought you were going to do."