2.02

this chapter is super short, sorry <3

~~

LAURA WAS SITTING ON the dock, her feet resting in the water. The sunset was beautiful, shining right on her. The breeze was barely kicking, but she felt it, blowing her hair gently. She felt relaxed, finally escaping her thoughts.

A tap was felt on Laura's shoulder, and she turned her head to find JJ standing behind her, smiling. "Is this spot taken? It doesn't look like it." JJ said, not waiting for an answer and just sitting next to her.

Laura laid her head on the blonde's shoulder as he took her hand in his. Her dark brown hair was glowing a soft caramel color, and JJ was obsessed with it. There was just something so infatuating about her and he could not figure it out.

JJ had never felt more alive than when he was with her. Sometimes she could perfectly match his energy, but could also be the calmness he needed. They evened each other. She always filled his thoughts, but he would never admit it.

Although it might be the way that Laura has cared for him the way nobody else has that made him feel the way he does whenever he's around the girl. But anytime either one of them tried anything, John B immediately got in the way, being the over protective brother he was.

But now that JJ finally made a move and knew Laura returned the same feelings, he felt frozen in time. Almost as if whenever he was around her, he couldn't breathe. He couldn't move. But in a sense he loved it a little too much.

Footsteps were heard on the wooden dock behind the two, making JJ come out of his thoughts and causing Laura to immediately lift her head up and turn around quickly, causing a sharp pain to make its way into her neck.

Briar was walking towards the two, her golden blonde hair swaying behind her. Laura always thought she looked just like a princess. It was also the way she always held her head high, and had a smile on her face.

Except this time, the blonde looked almost angry. "I don't understand this stupid class war that goes on here." Briar said, slipping off her shoes and sitting on the other side of Laura.

"I'm going to need you to elaborate, B."

Briar groaned, "I was leaving my house to go to the boneyard because I was bored, and my parents asked where I was going. No big deal, right? Well, I told them obviously and they were like, 'Make sure none of those dirty Pogue's are there.'" She snapped her head over to Laura wearing an exasperated expression on her face.

"Anyway, I told them that none of my friends were going to be there, I was going alone, and they didn't believe me. And then I got into yet another argument with my parents." The blonde finished, laying back on the dock, crossing her hands over her stomach and closing her eyes.

Laura and JJ looked at each other, trying to hold in their laughter. Laura looked back over at her friend, placing a hand on her knee. "You can stay here tonight. I don't mind."

Briar sat back up quickly. "I can't. Tomorrow is the first day of school and my parents are gonna wonder where I am. I left my phone at the house. I should get going, anyway."

"Ok, well, we'll see you tomorrow."

Briar nodded, putting her shoes back on and walking down the dock. Laura sighed, resting her head back on the blonde's shoulder. Her eyes closed once again. The only thing she could hear was the sound of the water softly rippling below her.

The sound was soothing, almost being too quiet for Laura. Quiet wasn't good, it allowed her mind to keep wandering. Which is something that should definitely not be happening.

Laura sat up frantically, gripping onto her t-shirt. JJ's hand shot out to grab the girls. She brought her knees up to her chest and allowed her head to fall straight down. Immediately the tears began to fall.

She didn't know why or how it all happened so quickly, but it did. The thoughts of her brother began to flood her mind which resulted in her anxiety worsening with every moment that passed.

The blonde sitting to her right had no idea what to do besides wrap his arms around her tightly, allowing the brunette to fall into his side. JJ rested his head on top of hers, hoping it would stop the shaking that came from Laura.

Her hand was continuously hitting her leg softly hoping it would stop the tears and shaking, but it was no use. All she could think about was John B.

~~

Night fell over slower than ever. The rest of the day consisted of nothing as Laura laid in bed, trying to figure out what to tell JJ. She didn't have to tell him anything, but felt like she should.

Dried tears covered her cheeks as she stared into the darkness. Her body was facing the wall, attempting to just focus on one spot. JJ was sitting in the living room pacing, not being able to get ahold of his friends.

He wanted to help, he truly did, but had no idea how to do so. And the later it got, he knew the people who could potentially help wouldn't answer. Tomorrow was the first day of school, though. It made sense why they wouldn't answer at this time. JJ thought maybe he could let it pass, and all would be well. Hopefully.

His head snapped over, seeing Laura walking across the room and right in front of the blonde. She looked incredibly tired, hands shoved into her hoodie pockets and wavy hair now tangled and thrown into a bun.

It was something that neither of them had ever experienced. Yes, Laura had bad anxiety here and there, but not to the extent of it as it was earlier that day. She was well aware that her brother's death would take a toll on her, but not like this.

Laura leaned forward into JJ, causing him to stumble back before wrapping his arms around her tightly. She breathed out, finally feeling comfort for the first time in the past few hours.

"I'm sorry." Laura whispered, closing her eyes.

JJ sighed out, "You have no reason to be."

Her hands shakily removed themselves from her pockets, and slowly began to wrap around JJ. Laura took in a deep breath, holding onto the blonde tighter. And then she released it.

Laura was grateful for the space she was given, but knew she couldn't go too long without the blonde by her side.